Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Extradited terrorism suspects appear in US courts

Larry

Link.

Maybe it's just the bubble I live in, but I would have thought this would be bigger news.

NEW YORK (AP) — A partially blind extremist Egyptian-born preacher charged in multiple terrorism plots entered a U.S. court for the first time Saturday without the use of his arms, complaining that prosthetic hooks he uses were taken away as he and four other terrorism defendants were flown to New York overnight from London.

Abu Hamza al-Masri, 54, indicted under the name Mustafa Kamel Mustafa, entered a Manhattan courtroom under heavy security to face charges he conspired with Seattle men to set up a terrorist training camp in Oregon and helped abduct 16 hostages, two of them American tourists, in Yemen in 1998.

His court appearance followed soon after two other defendants brought to New York, Khaled al-Fawwaz and Adel Abdul Bary, entered not guilty pleas to charges that they participated in the bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa in 1998.

The attacks killed 224 people, including 12 Americans. They were indicted in a case that also charged Osama bin Laden.

In New Haven, Conn., earlier in the day, Syed Talha Ahsan, 33, and Babar Ahmad, 38, entered not guilty pleas to charges that they provided terrorists in Afghanistan and Chechnya with cash, recruits and equipment. All five of the men face up to life in prison if they are convicted.

Why'd they take his arms?

Second amendment doesn't apply to terrorists. :)

I assume there was a reason. Because they're metal. Safety reason. (Prison only allows plastic arms.) Prison only allows medical devices that are prescribed by our prison doctor.

I have no clue what the reason is. And, considering government and bureaucracy and all, it might be a really dumb one. But I assume that there is one.

Archived