Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting Rid of Reliance on Foreign Oil. The Answer: The compressed air car

Recently a Frenchman invented a car that has an engine that runs only on COMPRESSED AIR. It would seem like this is the way to go, to not only clean up air pollution, but to get rid of our reliance on the importation of foreign oil.

Admittedly, the car's design doesn't look that great now and the prototype cost is high, but with further development and mass production to lower unit cost, it would seem to be the long term answer.

I saw it demonstrated on TV but haven't read anything about it in U.S. newspapers. Is it because the French invented it and not General Motors? Or is it because the oil companies are against it until world oil reserves run out in about 50 years?

Christ, I would buy one to help the environment or rid our dependence on foreign oil, if they got the cost down to something reasonable. It may not be the fastest car around but Christ you can't go faster then 40 mph in the city of Los Angeles anyways now, because of gridlock and there being a damn stop sign or traffic light on every other corner. :laugh:

I heard General Motors was working on some type of hydrogen car, but does anyone know if they are designing one of these? Comments?

http://www.theaircar.com/

I'm no engineer, so I'm not poo-pooing this idea entirely. But it doesn't look like this would change the overall scheme of things. A compressed air car has to use compressed air sources. Air is compressed by electricity, electricity has to be produced (and probably largely by fossil fuel combustion). You're just replacing one source of pollution for another in my mind and you're still going to be dependent on fossil fuels. Of course, not all electricity production is fossil fuel based so that might help a little. It also wouldn't do much to reduce greenhouse effects as this would release hot exhaust just like current vehicles. The companie's link admits to as much. When you factor in the massive changes that would come into play to implement this kind of car, I just don't think the benefits warrant it.

When you say a compressed air car, just what do you mean? Burning air like in an internal combustion engine, or presurized air induced into a cylinder to move a piston like a steam engine?

Don't know how far off the hydrogen cell cars are. There's a few companies working with this stuff, which has been around for decades as far as I know. There had been a thread on this subject some time back with all sorts of info.

We need to come up with a solid mode of transportation soon. The less cars that use gas, the more there is for toys. Glad nobody is working on electric motorcycles:doh: That I know of that is:shootinth

Archived