Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

H-Back

Chrisbob74

I just wanted some folks opinion on this position. How do you see it's role in this offense?

I was reading an old article about Earnest Byner yesterday, as many of you will remember, Byner came to the Skins in a (great) trade from the Browns the same year the Skins acquired Gerald Riggs from the Falcons. Byner eventually became the full time starter at RB but when Riggs was starting Byner seen a lot of time as a H-Back.

I was wondering if the Skins have seen some Byner type triats in Manuel White who is a guy that is being talked about as a possible H-Back for us this season.

I regard H-Back as a cross between a TE and a FB, I like the play of Cooley from this position as a receiver last year but maybe there is some concern over his blocking ability? One of the reasons Gibbs would have played a guy like Byner there is his effectiness as a pass blocker, he was one of the best I can recall seeing at picking up the blitz.

With the way defenses in the NFL play today, a lot of moving around and aggresive blitzing, I think the H-Back and the RB have increased responsibilities in picking up blitzers. We seen how badly it can go wrong when Betts let Ed Reed turn the game vs the Ravens last year.

Does Gibbs want more mobile blockers at this position? Could Cooley maybe see more time at TE to allow a guy like White to play if he shows good blocking skills?

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Gothtimus

Cooley did a decent job blocking last year.. Could have been better but it wasn't bad enough where I think he'd lose his postion.. Only way someone else starts at h-back is if cooley moves to TE imo.

With what Cooley showed as a receiver, safe hands, great effort etc, no way he doesn't receive plenty of playing time, I just wonder if in some situations he might get rotated more or see time at both spots (TE and H-Back).

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

With what Cooley showed as a receiver, safe hands, great effort etc, no way he doesn't receive plenty of playing time, I just wonder if in some situations he might get rotated more or see time at both spots (TE and H-Back).

I'd be a little concerned with Cooley blocking at TE, like my blocking TE's a tad bigger, but I'll trust whatever Gibbs does there.. I would like to see him get more passes thrown at him. With him in the H-Back position you can always have Royal at tight end and motion cooley out.

The danger comes if other teams know that when Cooley lines up TE that he's going to run a route because he maybe a bit ineffective as a blocker from that position, I'm not sure. Anyway we don't want to put cooley in predictable situations, that's what's so good about the h-back position.

Archived