Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bottom Line

Neophyte

At this point our beloved team and even more beloved coach are taking a lot of heat over the choices made in this last weekends annual draft. One choice in particular has the media and many fans up in arms, that of QB Jason Campbell with the #25 pick. There were other players available that may or may not have filled positions that may or may not be areas of need for the Redskins. It has been argued by many, myself included, that a pash rushing DE would have been a better choice there. Many others, both fans and media, swear a WR was the obvious choice with this pick.

All are functioning on the assumption that this team is lacking something in another area. Short a WR or a DE or a TE or any number of other things. About the only thing I have not heard was a need for this team in the last week is waterboy.

We fans and the media can talk about this and debate this 24/7 from now until the first game against Chicago and frankly will get no where. Until the games start again and count, this is all so much hot air and worth nothing. What is done, is done.

The bottom line is really very simple. If the offense for the Redskins averages the 3 TD's a game Gibbs is looking for this year and the defense does not slip any, no one will care what Gibbs did with the #25 pick. If this team goes 10-6 or 11-5 or better even and makes the playoffs, this choice will not be mentioned. If the passing game improves significantly then the crys to draft a WR will fall off and be forgotten. If this team posts another 6-10 season and the #1 we gave up next year to get Campbell this year turns out to be another Top 10 pick, many will scream and Gibbs will take even more grief about this.

Of course, it will still be too early to say if Campbell was a good or bad pick.

If this team makes the playoffs under Ramsey for the remainder of Gibbs tenure as coach, this pick will be forgotten. If Campbell leads this team to the Super Bowl years from now after it is determined that Ramsey was not the guy, this pick will be brilliant. If neither player works out, something we will not know for years, it will be a huge black mark on the career of the legendary coach most of us love.

Years from now we will have that answer and only years from now.

I agree with you! I think some fans around here just have different opinions about HOW to get the offense to score 3 TDs per game and HOW to get the defense to not slip any despite losing some players.

I tend to not overreact to anything. Since I've been a Skins fan, I've learned to temper my enthusiasm and not get too down based on personnel moves.

Archived