Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Berkshire Eagle Online: Jones' skills impressing NFL scouts

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~6295~2827994,00.html#

Jones' skills impressing NFL scouts

By The Associated Press

Thursday, April 21, 2005 - LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Matt Jones has been called a freak of nature because of his 4.4 speed as a 242-pound quarterback. He prefers being labeled as the best athlete to play Southeastern Conference football the past four seasons.

And perhaps as a first-round pick in Saturday's NFL draft.

No one expected much from Jones as he prepared for the draft, but then he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds at the Indianapolis combine.

"A 6-6 guy running a 4.37 -- that's unheard of," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said. "That's why there is so much talk about him."

Jones, who moonlighted for two seasons as a basketball forward, has emerged as one of the most intriguing pro prospects in this weekend's draft. Just last week, he visited the Carolina Panthers and Washington Redskins before returning home for a workout with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It's been fun," he said. "I have enjoyed it. It's a lot better than sitting around the house and doing nothing."

In the last four years, Jones set the league's career rushing record for a quarterback with 2,535 yards.

He had the ability to elude tackles and sprint past defensive backs, while forcing defensive coordinators to focus their teams' game plans on stopping him. His career average of 7.38 yards per play is second in SEC history to Florida's Danny Wuerffel, who had a 7.75 average while working in Steve Spurrier's offense.

Finding the right spot for Jones will be a challenge to anyone who selects him, according to Nutt.

"They don't know where to play him. That's the one problem," Nutt said. "But he is a playmaker. The thing about him is you want him to have the ball in his hands."

Originally posted by heyholetsgogrant

I have a feeling he will go in the top 15, I just cant see him falling to 25.

I don't see him going that early. He's got incredible athleticism, but I don't think he's ranked that highly. NFLdraftcountdown has him as the #11 ranked WR ( http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/wr.html ). While I"m not sure I"d put him that low, I really dont' see him going in the top 15.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

32 teams in the NFL. I pray that the 3 percent chance that the Eagles take him doesn't happen.

I agree, I also hope the eagles don't pick up Jones. I think wherever he goes, his height/leaping ability/speed could be quite deadly, and if he has the brains to play QB he has the brains to learn WR.

Archived