Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Half of all 1st day picks = WR or CB since 1999

Yomar

Since 1999 the Redskins have drafted 15 players in the first three rounds of the draft and traded a 1st round pick for another when they signed Restricted Free Agent Laveranues Coles in 2003.

Of those 16 pickss, 7 were 1st rounders, 4 were 2nd rounders and 5 were 3rd rounders.

Of those 16 players 4 were WRs and 4 were CBs. Of those 8 draft picks, only one, Taylor Jacobs is still on the team.

For the WRs, two were 1st rounders, one was a 2nd rounder and one was a 3rd rounder

For the CBs, one was a 1st rounder, one was a 2nd rounder and two were 3rd rounders

Last year they used both first day picks on a safety and a tight end

So over the last 6 drafts, 50% of all first day picks have been WRs and CBs and 62.5% have been on receivers and defensive backs.

3 picks were on offensive linemen and the remaining 3 picks were on a QB, a RB and a LB.

This does not mean the team should or shouldn't draft a WR or CB with the #9 pick this year, but I found it interesting that despite so much having been invested in those two positions over the last 6 years, they remain two of the teams most pressing needs.

A list of all first day picks:

99 - Champ Bailey

99 - Jon Jansen

99 - Lloyd Harrison

00 - Lavar Arrington

00 - Chris Samuels

01 - Rod Gardner

01 - Fred Smoot

02 - Patick Ramsey

02 - Ladell Betts

02 - Rashad Bauman

02 - Cliff Russell

03 - Laveranues Coles*

03 - Taylor Jacobs

03 - Derrick Dockery

04 - Sean Taylor

04 - Chris Cooley

CB 4

WR 4

OLine 3

LB 1

QB 1

RB 1

S 1

TE 1

i guess another interesting bit is that... as long as it wasnt a WR and CB... we were pretty good drafting...

actually even though they are still not on the team... if you just think about the picks that we had in the first day...

except for

99 - Lloyd Harrison

02 - Rashad Bauman

02 - Cliff Russell

every player is a good player in the league... (Jacobs i guess we still have to see). Russell you cant blame the FO cause that dude is just injured all the time so i guess you never know what could have been with him...

getting 12 out of 15 draft picks in the first day aint so bad...

of course we could have drafted others that would have been better but eh its not too shabby...

We have not been too fortunate with either of these positions except for CB's recently. Even before 1999.

Westbrook, Connell, Tom Carter, Chris Dishman, Leslie Sheppard, Alvin Harper, Desmond Howard,

We have about 46% record of making great picks, 33% record of making decent picks, and a 20% record of making bad picks in the early rounds. I wonder how this record compares to the rest of the league?

The thing about the draft is that you can often get a player cheaper than through free agency. But, at least with free agency, you can be pretty confident you're getting a good player. Of all the free agents Joe picked up last year, a couple may have been busts, but most were not. Unfortunately, we paid a pretty high price for the busts. The moral of that story to me is to only bring in the blue collar type guys through free agency, and draft the rest. Here's how I categorized the picks:

Widely recognized high-level contributors:

Bailey

Jansen

Arrington

Samuels

Smoot

Taylor

Cooley

Contributors with the jury still out to some extent:

Gardner

Ramsey

Betts

Jacobs

Not high-level contributors:

Harrison

Bauman

Russell

bhayesp wrote: Westbrook, Connell, Tom Carter, Chris Dishman, Leslie Sheppard, Alvin Harper, Desmond Howard

Are you talking about the draft here? We didn't draft Chris Dishman, Leslie Sheppard or Alvin Harper. Kind of an obscure trio to throw in the context of this post.

Originally posted by Paydirt

We have about 46% record of making great picks, 33% record of making decent picks, and a 20% record of making bad picks in the early rounds. I wonder how this record compares to the rest of the league?

The thing about the draft is that you can often get a player cheaper than through free agency. But, at least with free agency, you can be pretty confident you're getting a good player. Of all the free agents Joe picked up last year, a couple may have been busts, but most were not. Unfortunately, we paid a pretty high price for the busts. The moral of that story to me is to only bring in the blue collar type guys through free agency, and draft the rest. Here's how I categorized the picks:

Widely recognized high-level contributors:

Bailey

Jansen

Arrington

Samuels

Smoot

Taylor

Cooley

Contributors with the jury still out to some extent:

Gardner

Ramsey

Betts

Jacobs

Not high-level contributors:

Harrison

Bauman

Russell

i think that may be kind of skewed coming from a redskins fan. i agree cooley did contribute quite a bit and garnder had his moments, but to the rest of the nfl community, i doubt they would put cooley on a list of high contributors, nor would they put gardner on a list of decent wideouts.

every player is a good player in the league... (Jacobs i guess we still have to see). Russell you cant blame the FO cause that dude is just injured all the time so i guess you never know what could have been with him...

[/b]

I think you can blame the FO about Russell. The glaring deficiency about him was that HE COULD NOT CATCH THE DAMN BALL.

Dude had the worst hands I have ever seen on a NFL WR.

Originally posted by FS36

i think that may be kind of skewed coming from a redskins fan. i agree cooley did contribute quite a bit and garnder had his moments, but to the rest of the nfl community, i doubt they would put cooley on a list of high contributors, nor would they put gardner on a list of decent wideouts.

Wait a second. You are totally off base..

Cooley exceeded everyone's expectations this past year. You have to put him as a list as a high contributor. he led the team in receiving TDs and was 4th with 37 receptions.

Gardner while not a fan favorite on this board is a decent wideout by every accord. If he were not then why are multiple teams interested in trading for him?

Unfortunately, the reality of today's NFL is that players have more power to move on than they probably should. Of all the CB's and WR's we've drafted or traded for in the first two rounds since 1990, most have started at some point and were major contributers but didn't stick around for one reason or another.

I agree that Cooley may be kind of on the bubble, especially to non-Redskins fans. But, he did make some pretty big contributions last year for a rookie. To some extent the jury may still be out on him a little, since he is a young player. But, given that he was a rookie, I think most Redskins fans would agree that he more than lived up to expectations last year, and made some big contributions. Because of that, I think his future outlook is much brighter than say a Rod Gardner, whose had ample chance to shine but has been inconsistent.

But, at this point in his career, I would say Cooley is more of a great pick than a decent pick. That may be somewhat a matter of opinion. I suspect a poll in this forum would reveal that most would agree with me on that.

Then again, as you said, many of us do wear B&G tinted glasses. My suspicion is that if you did the same poll with non-Redskins fans that you would be correct in that Cooley wouldn't be considered a great player. But, I would suspect that would be more due to the fact that he's such a young player.

All that said, I wouldn't be totally against calling him a "decent" player at this point. I think he's going to need another year or two to demonstrate that he's a great player. But, given the level of expections placed on him as a rooke, I personally think that although he hasn't necessarily established himself as a great player in the league, he has shown enough to be considered (at least by some) as a great draft pick.

And, I agree with FPickering in that because Gardner did have a couple of somewhat productive seasons, and several teams currently think highly enough of him to be interested in obtaining his services, he should be considered a decent contributor in whom the jury is still out. That said, I won't lose any sleep over him leaving town.

Archived