Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Look at the bright side

bricucci

I wish people would make up their minds!! We complain (And I speak more for those on talk radio and people in day to day life than those core fans on the site) when the skins go spending crazy and we complain when they tighten the purse, but lets look at it in perspective.

1. Marty ball era: No big free agents, cut the fat and the cap and by the end of the year had a Tony Banks led team playing at a playoff level!!

2. We lost Coles (big deal) 90 catches but werent 50 of those on the 1 yard out (so called rocket screen). The Guy will never be big time until he fixes his Toe. I like the trade, Santana has bigtime potential (remember he comes from an offense as dull as the Skins O last year).

3. Smoot, well I'm going to miss him, but truthfully not the ideal cb in Willaims D. Terrible on the blitz (missed every sack attempt he had last year) A bigger corner will give the Skins a bigger element of surprise. And if ST develops like he should, it will help whoever is playing opposite of Springs.

4. Pierce: Would anyone have missed him if he left last year. Pierce should thank his Dt's for getting him his payday.

5. Coach Gibbs: Is driving the ship, no way Danny Boy sits back and lets these players go unless its being directed by Gibbs. Have faith in our great leader!!!!!!!!!!

Just think every year we get excited by all the moves and it leads to what? Just think this year we have no expectations, maybe things will play out like we have been wishing for years!!!!

:point2sky (advice to admin, change this guy's number please!!)

Originally posted by bricucci

I wish people would make up their minds!! We complain (And I speak more for those on talk radio and people in day to day life than those core fans on the site) when the skins go spending crazy and we complain when they tighten the purse, but lets look at it in perspective.

1. Marty ball era: No big free agents, cut the fat and the cap and by the end of the year had a Tony Banks led team playing at a playoff level!!

2. We lost Coles (big deal) 90 catches but werent 50 of those on the 1 yard out (so called rocket screen). The Guy will never be big time until he fixes his Toe. I like the trade, Santana has bigtime potential (remember he comes from an offense as dull as the Skins O last year).

3. Smoot, well I'm going to miss him, but truthfully not the ideal cb in Willaims D. Terrible on the blitz (missed every sack attempt he had last year) A bigger corner will give the Skins a bigger element of surprise. And if ST develops like he should, it will help whoever is playing opposite of Springs.

4. Pierce: Would anyone have missed him if he left last year. Pierce should thank his Dt's for getting him his payday.

5. Coach Gibbs: Is driving the ship, no way Danny Boy sits back and lets these players go unless its being directed by Gibbs. Have faith in our great leader!!!!!!!!!!

Just think every year we get excited by all the moves and it leads to what? Just think this year we have no expectations, maybe things will play out like we have been wishing for years!!!!

Admittedly, I'm a little down right now about how the Coles situation played out and loosing Smooty, but:

1. We didn't start winning that year because we didn't sign any players. That didn't have anything to do with it. A few more good players and we might have made the playoffs.

2. We got shellacked on that trade. We give up an ungodly amount of money and a #1 pick and now NY has him. Just look at the dead money he's counting on out cap. We don't have Smoot because of Coles. And Moss isnt half the player Coles is. We're the only one's in the nation to say that Moss is close to as talented as Coles. Burgandy Glasses.

3. Smoot is a good corner. He'll be missed. Everyone loved the guy, now suddenly he isn't a good player? C'mon.

4. Pierce is a good player too. Again, suddenly he is a "system" linebacker? It makes me sick seeing him go to the Giants. He's young and good and because of thoughtless spending we couldn't keep him.

5. Gibbs may be running things, but we're losing players and failing to make any significant signings because we don't have the money. We had to restructure like 6 contracts this offseason alone. Those bills will come due. Players aren't giving money back... we're just putting it off till later. So please don't act like suddenly we're not signing players because Snyder decided to run things smartly.

Sorry, guys but I'm down as heck right now about losing players like Smoot, Pierce and Coles and watching Brunnel suck up our cap money sipping gatoraid on the sidelines.

It turns my stomach...

Wrong my friend!!!

The skins did have the room to sign a big time freeagent. They could have reupped Smoot. But as much as I love Smoot 10 million dollars for a # 2 corner is plenty!!!! Remember he's a # 2. Hes had a better cb opposite of him his whole career. Reminds me of the Wr effect. Just ask:

1. Peerless Price

2. Alvin Harper

People are learning not to blow your wad on #2's. Do you think there is a reason Plaxico isn't signed?

2. Marty chose to clear up cap space, he had money to spend, but he avoided Cap hell by cleaning up before it hit. (See Sanfransicso 49ers).

3. I agree Coles is a better receiver than Moss when healthy! But he hasn't been healthy in two years. 90 catches is great, but when 3 of them go for first downs whats is boil down to. Moss had strong #'s two years ago with Wayne Chrebet and Doo Doo brown opposite him. He will bring much needed speed which will keep the safties off and give Portis more room to run!!!!! He may not be a better receiver but his skills will work better for this team.

4. Antonio Pierce: Had a very good year. Along with alot of other players on D. Ask any football expert, a good D coordinator and system will beat individual talent every time!!!!!!

My burgundy shades are off, just being real. I took a break from the skins for about 30 days. I not heartbroken about Pierce or Smoot.

Did you read Coles comments, did you really want that guy here?

Do you think if Greg Williams told Gibbs we have to have Pierce at any cost, Pierce wouldn't still be a redskin?

:cheers: to Danny Boy and Coach Joe for moving on and not overpaying.

Originally posted by bricucci

I agree with everything you say except for the Pierce thanking the tackles for his great year. He made a lot of plays dropping into coverage and the Griffin has said in interview that he will miss Pierce moving him into position. I think we are on the right track and I have the utmost faith in the Legend that is J. Gibbs.

Yes I did read Coles comments and no, I definately don't want that malcontent playing for the redskins.

My point was that we gave up a number 1 pick and a whole lot of money and got squat in return except for Moss, who is somewhat less than impressive.

You make it sound like we just have all the cap space in the world. We don't.

Restructuring more contracts to make more room to sign Smoot and Pierce would just prolong the time we're going to be in cap trouble. They didn't sign those players because making the room in an already troubled cap just wouldn't be worth it.

They'll be going with lesser players, hoping they can hold the fort. Why do you think they're doing that? Because they want less talent on the field? Because they hate continuity on defense?

No, their doing it because cap room is very precious and we don't have much of it.

I really hope you're right and I'm wrong. I really, really do.

Archived