Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for Gators

Awesome

Did the Gators play much on astroturf? I wouldn't think so, being in the SEC. But in the last twelve years there had to have been at least a few games on turf. Did SS gameplan any differently for games on turf? Just curious when I got to thinking about having to play at Dallas and Philly and how used to coaching a game on turf SS was.

As soon as Steve got to UF in Jan of '90, he got rid of the artifical turf at the Swamp (the school actually sold squares of it). I don't recall any SEC schools with carpet except maybe Vandy.

I do know this...the carpet did NOT hender UF playing FSU for the National Championship at New Orleans in 1996 :D :cool: :D

Philly uses that faux grass on top of the turf.

Remember the preseason game against the Ravens was called because the stitches didnt mate and would have been a health hazard.

That was a good point thou because neither FSU, Miami or the Gators use Turf and still blaze pass the opposing teams and dont need a dome like the lambs.

Buc is correct. I actually have a piece of the turf that they replaced the grass with :D

SOS doesn't like the turf, but really it just played to our speed advantage. We did well playing indoors in the Sugar Bowl on turf and many SEC championship games played in the Georgia Dome and in Alabama before they moved it to Atlanta. I don't think that he will change his game plan at all depending on whether we play on grass or turf.

Archived