Extremeskins

ST:Date upcoming Carter vs Cowboys

denverdan

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/nfl/dallas_cowboys/10815655.htm

Posted on Fri, Feb. 04, 2005

Date upcoming for fight over Carter case

By Charean Williams

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The NFL Players Association is continuing its fight with the Cowboys over the termination of former quarterback Quincy Carter's contract. This weekend, a date will be set for an independent arbitrator to hear the noninjury grievance, NFLPA general counsel Richard Berthelsen said Thursday.

The NFLPA contends that the Cowboys violated the collective bargaining agreement when they released Carter on Aug. 4. It maintains that Carter was released for violating the league's substance abuse policy, a violation of the union's agreement with the league. The Cowboys claim that Carter was released for unsatisfactory performance.

Three weeks after Carter was released, he signed a one-year contract for $455,000 in base salary with the Jets. Carter's contract with the Cowboys included $455,000 in base salary in 2004 and a $260,000 roster bonus that he received.

"We wanted to wait until the off-season to hear the case," NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw said. "It's still a case. What we're looking at here is ... what did Quincy lose in the weeks that he wasn't employed? I don't know how much we'll be able to recover, but it's a case that's still alive, unless it settles, and I don't think it will settle."

Cowboys hire Bowles

The Cowboys hired Todd Bowles as secondary coach. Paul Pasqualoni, hired two weeks ago, has been assigned to coach tight ends, replacing Tony Sparano, sources said.

Bowles spent the past four seasons as Cleveland's secondary coach. For the past two years, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has overseen the secondary, with Mike MacIntyre serving as the assistant secondary coach.

Hiring Bowles, who served as the Jets' secondary coach under Bill Parcells in 2000, will allow Zimmer to monitor the entire defense, owner Jerry Jones said.

Jones refused to confirm Pasqualoni's duty.

"I pretty much know what it is going to be, but I am not ready to announce it and it really does depend on one other decision that we have on staff," Jones said.

Sparano moved from tight ends to the offensive line.

Archived