Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Article on Moss trade possibilities

afparent

Up for a trade?

Randy Moss going elsewhere could cure a number of emotional and financial ills

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

Cris Carter knows the significance of a fresh start. After being released by the Philadelphia Eagles before the 1990 season because of his drug problem, he revived his career — and remodeled his reputation — in Minnesota.

The future hall of fame receiver believes it's time for Randy Moss to do the same.

"At this time, in the best interests of both parties, it might be in Randy's best interests to be somewhere else next season," said Carter, a mentor to Moss during Carter's last seasons in Minnesota. "I wouldn't be surprised if he has played his last game in Minnesota."

Publicly, the Vikings say trading Moss is not viable. Privately, they are curious. Realistically, NFL economics could make this the year the Vikings deal Moss, who has been an unhappy, albeit talented, distraction as the team has spun its competitive wheels the past two seasons.

Moss did not speak to reporters after the 27-14 NFC divisional playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, but he expressed frustration to longtime friend Sam Singleton, who lives in his hometown of Rand, W.Va.

"He's not happy there, and I think he wants to go somewhere else," said Singleton, who has known Moss for more than 20 years and was his youth baseball and football coach. "He knows he's not going to win anything there."

Singleton said Moss has spoken about a trade before, adding, "This time, he's serious about it."

Coach Mike Tice said it's too early to speculate about a deal.

"That's not even something we would even think about four days after the season," he said.

But dealing Moss could benefit all involved. The Vikings could receive immediate help on defense and draft picks, the other team would receive arguably the NFL's best receiver for a relative bargain price, and Moss could go somewhere that makes him happy, at least for the time being.

And, as Tice said, "Everybody has got a price."

"If we can upgrade an area of weakness and look at certain players, you'd like to think about it," Tice added. "But you certainly don't want to lose one of your top players. It's like losing a key coach. You take a step backward."

Last year, a handful of teams inquired about Moss' availability, including the Miami Dolphins, who reportedly were offering defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, cornerback Sam Madison, receiver Chris Chambers and draft picks. A deal never was close to being consummated.

An NFC personnel executive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said it's crazy to think about trading Moss.

"They can't trade a guy who makes their whole offense run, no matter how much of a jerk he is," he said. "I like (Daunte) Culpepper, but I think Moss is that offense. He opens up everything. There are so few of those guys, you have to try to make it work."

NFL trades are rare, but there have been three significant deals within the past year, and Moss would merit serious consideration, said Ken Herock, who spent 38 years in the NFL as a player, coach, scout, personnel director and vice president.

"As a player, he has no peer," said Herock, who last served as vice president of player personnel for the Green Bay Packers before he retired less than four years ago. "In the right situation, he's a Jerry Rice-type of performer. But then you factor in other things and there are questions, and you have to think about it, and the questions are obvious."

Can Moss be a team player? Can he stay out of trouble? And if he can't stay out of trouble, can he make it worth your while?

Herock said Moss might not have had all of his issues in a different environment.

What would he give up? Herock said a first-round pick and a conditional pick that could be a first-rounder.

"That second pick would be predicated on his production and his play," Herock said.

Herock said he also would consider trading a defensive starter and a first-round pick for Moss.

The Baltimore Ravens, who pursued Terrell Owens last offseason, would be an ideal fit, Herock said. Moss liked coach Brian Billick when Billick was the Vikings' offensive coordinator, and he could benefit from the strong leadership in place there. Herock also said the New York Jets — whose quarterback is Moss' former college teammate Chad Pennington — and even the San Diego Chargers might be good destinations.

But Herock said only a veteran team on the verge of a championship could make it work.

"You can't trade him to a bad team," he said. "That wouldn't help. There are too many holes."

Carter said he has spoken to officials from many teams, and there is definitely a leaguewide interest in Moss. If there is a suitor, the economics involved could grease the wheels for a deal.

If the Vikings had traded Moss last year, they would have had to absorb an additional $2.8 million in an accelerated salary-cap hit, for a total of nearly $11 million. Now, a deal would save the Vikings nearly $2 million in salary-cap space. They also would wipe Moss' $7.25 million salary off the books.

For a suitor, Moss' contract is appealing. The Vikings already have paid the $18 million in guaranteed bonuses as part of his original eight-year, $75 million contract. Over the four remaining seasons, Moss is owed $36.5 million in salary, which would give a new employer a couple of reasonable options:

• The new team could accept his $7.5 million base salary for 2005 and reassess him the following offseason, when it would have the option of releasing him with no salary-cap penalty.

• If they need cap space, they could lower his cap number by converting his $7.5 million base salary into a signing bonus and paying him the veteran's minimum of $665,000. His cap number then would be nearly $2.4 million, a $5 million savings.

"If I needed a receiver, and I knew he was available, I would make an effort to get him," Herock said.

Monday, Vikings owner Red McCombs said he did not envision Moss going anywhere.

"I don't see how we would want to give up a player like that," he said.

Perhaps after investigating, he could.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/10695548.htm?1c

If they do trade Moss, the first thing I would do if I was the other team is go out and hire Chris Carter as my wr coach or ass. wr coach. Give him a job on your staff somewhere. Carter is the only person moss respects or listens to. I just hope it is not here!!!!

Archived