Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kwame was in his Mercedes 600 sedan..........

PaulInVirginia

Here's the article from a GA newspaper (Dublin GA Newspaper)..............

NBA rookie stopped in Laurens Co.

04/29/02

Stephanie Miller

Respond to this story

Email this story to a friend

By STEPHANIE MILLER When Sgt. Kirk Hartwell of the Laurens County Sheriff’s Department ICE Team pulled over a new Mercedes Saturday he never expected the driver to be the number one pick of the 2001 NBA draft who now plays for Michael Jordan’s team, the Washington Wizards. Kwame Brown, 20, of Brunswick, was clocked by Hartwell driving a 2002 Mercedes S-600 at 120 mph in a 60 mph construction zone on Interstate 16 Saturday at about 3:10 p.m, according to Hartwell. Brown was drafted on June 28, 2001, and signed a three-year contract for $11.9 million with the Washington Wizards. “He was racing a motorcycle,” said Hartwell. “I couldn’t catch them both. If you try to catch a motorcycle at that speed it’s gonna kill them and it’s not worth it over a traffic ticket.” Hartwell said once he turned the blue lights on the Mercedes the driver pulled over without any trouble and the motor cycle exited the interstate at the state Route 199 off-ramp. “He told me the motorcycle ‘started to come around me and I was in my new car and I was not gonna let him beat me,’” said Hartwell. “Obviously it’s that competitive spirit he’s got. But they were running side by side through the construction zone.” Hartwell said Brown had two passengers, his brother and another man. He said he didn’t know if they were afraid but they “should have been with him driving like that through that area.” “Someone that young driving like that, especially with the future he has, risking getting killed, he’s got to be crazy,” said Hartwell. Hartwell said Brown was very polite and “didn’t give him any problem. He just kept saying ‘Michael Jordan is going to kill me’.” Hartwell said Brown will automatically lose his license because of his age and the excessive speed he was traveling. He said had Brown not willingly pulled over he might have easily outrun his patrol car. Hartwell said Brown’s receipt for the Mercedes was still in the car and it sold for excess of $129,000. Hartwell said the car could easily top the patrol car’s top speed of about 140 mph. “Mine’ll run about 140, the car he was in could do about 184 mph. It’s a heavy-duty sports car,” said Hartwell. “But, he can’t outrun that radio.” However, Hartwell said a chase at those speeds would have been very dangerous and the safety of other drivers has to be taken into consideration. “We had his tag number and know who it comes back to,” he said. “A speeding ticket’s not worth someone getting killed over.” Hartwell said he was glad that Brown chose to stop and behaved so well throughout the whole ordeal, even his arrest. He said Brown was taken to the sheriff’s office where he paid his own cash bond of $1,200. “He was the number one draft pick right out of high school. He’s only 20 years old. He never played college ball,” said Hartwell. “He was very cooperative. He was a perfect gentleman as far as that goes.” Hartwell said he wasn’t surprised to stop Brown on I-16, where he was reported to be headed back to his home in Brunswick. “We run into so many people out there,” said Hartwell. “We see all kind of celebrities. The same day I stopped a rap group on its way to Atlanta to cut an album.”

This is what caught my eye...........

“He told me the motorcycle ‘started to come around me and I was in my new car and I was not gonna let him beat me,’” said Hartwell. “Obviously it’s that competitive spirit he’s got

If he shows that spirit on the court, the Wizards will be okay. If not, he'll be the biggest bust in NBA history!!

Kwame isnt going to be a bust.

His progression at the end of the year shows he can take his game to the next level.

He is still projected to reach 7 to 7'1 ft tall and if given the patience and fan loyalty he should receive here his game could resemble that of a K Garnett or that Dirk Dude in Dallas

You're right NavyDave,

But you know how the Wizards jettison players only to have them perform well elsewhere. Just look at Rasheed Wallace, Chris Webber, Googs to a certain extent and Ben Wallace(defensive player of the year). So Kwame will live up to his first pick status. However it will be with another team.

:D

Archived