Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Kick

Yomar

Steve Spurrier had become a Florida legend even before his senior season. He cemented his lofty place in UF history on Oct. 29, 1966, on what would become known as The Kick.

The Gators, thanks to late-game heroics from Spurrier in wins over FSU and North Carolina State, were 6-0 heading into their showdown against Auburn at Florida Field.

Although UF outplayed the Tigers throughout the game, the Gators found themselves in a 27-27 tie late in the game.

Spurrier, known for his poise in pressure situations, led the Gators to the AU 23-yard line, where the drive stalled. UF coach Ray Graves called on junior kicker Wayne Barfield to take the potential game-winning field goal, even though a 40-yarder might have been out of Barfield's range.

Spurrier turned to Graves on the sideline and asked if he could make the kick. Graves relented, and Spurrier's 40-yard boot cleared the crossbar to give the Gators a 30-27 victory. Many members of the national media were on hands that day, and Spurrier's performance helped seal the Heisman Trophy for him.

Yomar nice sig, but give Dylan his credit for the benefit of the rest of my fellow generation-X'ers and generation-next'ers that remain blissfully deprived of his genius.

My parents were hippies, so even though I wasn't even a sperm in my pop's nut sack when he wrote it, I'm nevertheless well versed in Dylanism, but sadly most folks aren't these days. :(

zigarette-big.jpg

I think you just did it for me, I thought about it, but I like it better without - B. Dylan at the end...Dylan is now more of a cultural icon than a man, at least in the abstract, of course if you were to meet him you would realize he is sinewy flesh and brittle bone, but I am not here to give a Bob Dylan seminar, its not my responsibility to promote Bob Dylan, I like the verse and that should be homage enough.

and why do I get the sense that everyone thinks I'm old? I wasn't a sperm in my dad's nutsack nor a twinkle in my mother's eye when Dylan wrote that song either...

Im sure glad Yomar aint promoting those damn puffins anymore. After they put puffins on the menu here in the joint, the national demand for them soared and it almost caused them to go on the Endangered Species List.

But lately we have cut back on them. Now we are eating a more balanced diet -- more canaries and sparrows. :laugh:

could you imagine a modern day coach allowing say a Eli Manning to go in and try a 45 yard field goal to win an important contest? :laugh:

football in the 1960's BEFORE it grew up and surpassed baseball as the major sport must have been very fun to watch.

in recent years it has become so rules-oriented and straight-jacketed that you never see any real innovations. Everyone does things the same way.

they all have the little sheet on the sidelines to tell them when to go for 2 points and when to punt the ball on fourth down.

How boring!

Archived