Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I like Betts . . .

Newera

And, not that I don't like Portis.

What I like about Betts is that he is a physical runner that runs with relentless determination. Example: The run late in the game where he gave third effort. Runs like that motivate an offense. Smash mouth is just my preference. I also thinks Gibbs history in washington shows more of a preference for physical type backs that grind. Riggins, Roger, Riggs, Byner, etc.

He always had a change a pace back such as Joe Washington or Ricky Ervins, Timmy Smith. The difference is that the smaller quicker back was used as a change of pace to the power back. This team is the opposite. Betts is the change of pace, and I think it would be more effective the other way around. The problem is that Portis is being paid far too much to be a change of pace back, and that is the issue.

Don't get me wrong, Portis is a tough guy. The difference is that guys like Betts you're not going to bring down with arm tackles in the fourth quarter -- typically where power rushers do most of their damage. Thus Betts yesterday. He probably got 50 of his yards in the fourth quarter. That's what power runners do.

It's the same thing Jamel Lewis did to our defense when we played the Ravens. He got over 80 of yards in the second half. Bettis did the same thing.

Those that argue that Betts did it against the lowly Vikings is not fair. Because if he didn't do well, you would say the same thing. "He did nothing against the Vikings weak defense." And, you can't take away the 31 yard run. It kills me when people do that. It is what it is. That's what hard running power backs do. They start to break longer runs late.

The two and three yard carries in the first half, become six and seven yard runs late. Granted we do need a better offensive line -- particularly center -- a line that could not create any day light late in the game against the cowboys to virtually seal the win. Granted, I still think Joe should have passed on one of those downs. I think Gibbs is blue collar at his heart. He loves those kinds of guys. The question becomes will it hurt Portis' ego -- to split carries next year -- which to me seems somewhat fragile. Let's not forget how effective the concept was with the Dolphis with Csonka and Mercury Morris. Why can't we have two thousand yard runners next year.

Also . . .

A couple of subtle things I picked up this year when Betts played is that the team moved the ball well offensively when he was in there. First game against Philly (where Betts I think had as much if not more carries then Portis). We just couldn't do anything in the red zone. Our late touchdown against the Steelers, Betts was the back. And the last touchdown against Dallas, Betts was the back. And, I think in three games where he has started in his career -- are certainly played a lot, he's put up good numbers.

My issue with Portis is more based on economics and style and not talent. The dude has talent. It's based on what we are paying him, and is he worth it? Everyone knows we have a history of overpaying.

Is it necessarily good use of our cash. That I don't know. He's seems to me more suited for Spurrier then Gibbs. Or West Coast. Or if anything, more of a change of pace back for Gibbs. Pound Betts, pound Betts, change with Portis. It's then -- quickness becames such a factor. It's such a rhtythm change.

In terms of economics, look, the Eagles said they weren't going to pay Trotter $35 million. We glady did. They still got to the NFC finals with Levon Kirland as their middle linebacker. We paid Trotter the money, and still have not been to the playoffs. He's back in Philly at the miniumum and they lead the NFC. Who made the more practical and fiscally responsible decision?

We have paid Brunnell and Portis a fortune, and I just don't know if it was totally wise based on production. We know Brunell wasn't. Portis is questionable. I just don't quite see him as the right fit. Not bad, but not right. Unless mixed with a power style back.

This is what Reuben Droughns did for Denvber this year. 16 games. 275 attempls. 1240 yards. 4.5 yards. The Broncos did the deal and still are where they were last year minus paying him the big bucks. Many still think we over paid for Portis. I'm sure Shanihan did. All I'm saying is that we over pay. (Smoot beware).

Those that simply say Betts is not a number one back, I beg to differ. He just needs a chance. Ala a guy like Ruddy Johnson. Who was he last year? Betts is a typical Gibbs type. When he's played, he has yet to disspoint. He's been consistent. He's not flash. He's blue collar and runs with power. He's guranteed more carries next year, and his already upgraded his status, and this has been going on all year.

All I'm saying is don't be too surprised this off season.

Portis goes down at the point of contact and Betts does not, you always have a chance to make yards with Betts. I think it was a personnel blunder to sign Portis to a mega deal. Portis is a very good back, but Gibbs should have seen what he had with this team in his first year and then made moves. Now I don't believe the Skins have enough finances to fix all of their holes, not including re-signing Smoot and Pierce.

Archived