Extremeskins

WP: Closing Statement

bubba9497

Closing Statement

Redskins Finish Disappointing Season With Spirited Effort

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A42205-2005Jan2?language=printer

Garnell Wilds's dreadlocks danced outside his helmet as the Washington Redskins rookie cornerback shadowed Randy Moss, Minnesota's star wide receiver, for most of the second half. Washington's burly defensive linemen chest-bumped each other after each sack of Pro Bowl quarterback Dante Culpepper. And even as spectators trickled out of FedEx Field in the fourth quarter yesterday with the outcome of the game determined, Washington's defenders exhibited intensity.

The Redskins failed to reach their goal of surpassing the Pittsburgh Steelers as the NFL's top-ranked defense. Nonetheless, the Redskins won, 21-18, to end their disappointing season on a positive note, exhibiting the same spirit as in the season opener nearly four months ago.

"Sixteen straight weeks, we lost games almost every way you could lose them," Coach Joe Gibbs said after the game. "And yet our guys kept coming back and it's a tribute to them, their character. I'm really proud of them."

The outcome was especially impressive because the Vikings needed a victory to guarantee a wild-card berth in the playoffs. Minnesota (8-8) made it only because the New Orleans Saints beat the Carolina Panthers, 21-18.

The Redskins finished with a record of 6-10, Gibbs's worst season in 13 years as a head coach. But Washington avoided offensive ignominy by scoring three offensive touchdowns for only the second time this season. Tailback Ladell Betts, who filled in for the injured Clinton Portis, ran with power and pizzazz to produce career highs in carries (26) and rushing yards (118). And quarterback Patrick Ramsey completed some rare deep passes and finished the day having completed 17 of 26 passes for 216 yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 interception.

The Redskins entered the game needing to score at least 11 points to avoid a franchise low for total points scored in a season since the advent of the 16-game schedule in 1978 (not including the strike-shortened 1982 season). They avoided that distinction, as well as another one: The Redskins were penalized only three times for a season-low 13 penalty yards. It left them 66 yards short of the club mark for penalty yards (1,110), set in 1948.

Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache had joked before the game that Minnesota's offense -- ranked third in the league -- contained weapons of mass destruction. But Washington's blitz-heavy defense discombobulated Culpepper and blanketed his talented corps of receivers. Despite being difficult to tackle at 6 feet 4, 264 pounds, Culpepper was sacked four times. "We probably missed five or six other ones because we couldn't get him down," said Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense. "He's such a tremendous athlete."

The Redskins disguised their defenses to confound Culpepper, often feigning a blitz before backing off. When Culpepper expected heavy blitzing, Washington often played more conservatively, keeping its pass defenders back.

"I don't think they knew when we were blitzing and when we weren't," Redskins linebacker Antonio Pierce said.

On the Vikings' first possession of the second half, the Redskins brought Culpepper down three times in five plays. Lineman Demetric Evans sacked Culpepper first, presenting the Vikings with a third and 15 from their 38-yard line. After a 16-yard completion to Moss and a one-yard run by tailback Michael Bennett, Culpepper was tackled again as he attempted to throw, this time by Evans and Lemar Marshall. On the next play, defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin dove at Culpepper's feet to bring him down, forcing a punt and causing one of the biggest roars of the day from the crowd of 76,876. Griffin beat his chest several times before linebacker Chris Clemons jumped on him.

Going into the game, Washington trailed Pittsburgh by 94 yards in total defense, which is measured by total offensive yards allowed. But Washington yielded 320 yards -- 80 on Minnesota's final drive that culminated with an alley-oop pass from Culpepper to 6-3 wideout Marcus Robinson, who leaped over defenders for a touchdown with two seconds left. The Steelers limited the Bills to 267 yards in their 29-24 victory retain their No. 1 defensive ranking. The Redskins finished second.

The Redskins' season started with great hope after the announcement of Gibbs's return. But the Redskins needed yesterday's victory to finish one game better than Gibbs's predecessor, Steve Spurrier, who resigned last year after finishing 5-11 in his second season with the team.

After the game, Gibbs shook Williams's hand and trotted off the field with the same steely expression he has shown after so many losses. Later, Gibbs spoke extensively about a bright future for the Redskins.

As proof, Gibbs touted his defense and used yesterday's overall performance by the team. "I'm anxious to get started. The offseason will be a big time for us," Gibbs said. "I think it will be one of the most important six months of my coaching career, trying to help ourselves every way we can. The most important thing is that our guys wanted to finished strong. There with nothing on the line but pride."

Despite his Hall of Fame credentials, Gibbs conceded that this season was a learning experience.

Perhaps the area Gibbs struggled with most was getting the ball downfield -- his club entered the game with only three receptions of 40 yards or more. Yesterday, the Redskins exploited Minnesota's 30th-ranked passing defense, and Ramsey threw his first completion of more than 40 yards as a starter this season.

The Redskins had the ball early in the fourth quarter on the Minnesota 46-yard line when Ramsey arched a pass to Taylor Jacobs, who caught it, then sidestepped a defensive back for extra yards at the end of a 45-yard reception. On Washington's next play Betts drove his head into a pile of burly bodies, barely nudging the ball into the end zone to give the Redskins a 21-10 lead.

"The offensive line played hard and I definitely didn't want to let them down," said Betts, who had 79 rushing yards in the second half. "So I just tried to do my best."

Because cornerback Fred Smoot was out of the game with an injured back, Wilds -- making only his second appearance of the year -- assumed the nickel back spot with Walt Harris starting at cornerback. But Wilds moved into the first unit for the second half, when cornerback Shawn Springs was forced out with an upset stomach. Wilds, who attended Virginia Tech, immediately took on the personality of Washington's defense despite being lined up against Moss.

"It's the team I'm playing on but it's also my personality," Wilds said. "We had a lot to fight for. We were trying to be the number one defense and trying to get things jump-started for next year."

Moss produced a third-quarter touchdown, a trademark acrobatic grab over rookie safety Sean Taylor, to cut Washington's lead to 14-10. But Moss was held to only five catches for 66 yards.

"Last night in the meeting, our guys were almost disappointed that the meeting was over," Williams said. "They've had this attitude today that they're disappointed that they are not coming in and preparing for the next opponent."

Archived