Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paul Woody: REDSKINS NOTES

bubba9497

REDSKINS NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Friday, December 31, 2004

WILDS ABOUT YOU: Rookie cornerback Garnell Wilds has to sacrifice a trip to New Orleans to watch his college team, Virginia Tech, play in the Sugar Bowl.

Wilds can live with that because it means he will be at Redskin Park on Monday after playing against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

Wilds has been on the active roster since Dec.4. Before that, he had spent the season on the Redskins' practice squad.

He has been active for one game, against San Francisco two weeks ago. But with starting cornerback Fred Smoot not expected to play and backup Ade Jimoh on the injured reserve list, Wilds will be in uniform Sunday against the Vikings and their potent passing attack.

"I've got to show them I should be here," Wilds said. "The next thing I want to do is make a name for myself."

Wilds seems likely to receive a contract offer from the Redskins for the 2005 season. But that's not a guarantee he will make the team, and if he doesn't, he wants the other 31 teams to think he's an NFL-quality player.

Wilds has worked hard to become so.

"The game of football is complex at this level," he said. "It's more than just the physical part of it. The schemes change every week, and sometimes they can change from series to series in a game."

Wilds and Redskins linebacker Marcus Washington have been engaging in some spirited debate about the outcome of the Sugar Bowl. Washington, the Redskins' lone Pro Bowl representative, played at Auburn.

"We've been talking some noise a little bit," Wilds said. "I imagine it will heat up as the game gets closer."

IT'S THE EFFORT THAT COUNTS: The players who bother Redskins coach Joe Gibbs the most are the ones who fail to get the most out of their ability.

Gibbs, for example, has a special affection for H-back Brian Kozlowski, an 11-year veteran who possesses seemingly marginal NFL ability.

"I love Koz," Gibbs said. "Why does Koz play? He's super smart. He has great character. He's funny. He's always here. You go in that room up there, and he's 30 minutes early, taking notes. He's a student."

Yes, but as somone pointed out, Kozlowski had a Patrick Ramsey pass go through his hands on the Redskins' opening drive Sunday against Dallas. Instead of scoring a touchdown on the play, an interception resulted.

"Yeah, I know," Gibbs said. "But I look at it as, 'Was the guy busting his butt to make a play?' Patrick came off the field and said, 'Gosh, I thought he was sitting down.' And Koz came off the field and said, 'Gosh, I started to move.' You look at all that in the total context of what a guy does."

For Gibbs, players such as Kozlowski will have longer NFL careers than those who fail to make the effort to reach their full ability.

"I watch guys in the meetings," Gibbs said. "I give them lectures. I tell them, 'I see you sitting back in there, not taking notes, and that makes an impression on me.'

"I've had talks with guys, I just had one of these two weeks ago, and I told this guy, 'The coach who works with you said you can go to the Pro Bowl. But you aren't going to go because you don't want to go to the Pro Bowl. I'm just telling you this for you and your family. What you're going to do is bounce from team to team to team unless you get in gear. And you're going to wind up a mess.'

"I told him, 'Here's what we see, and here's what's going to happen unless you fix it.' That guy has a little girl, and he loves that little girl. And I told him, 'You're going to play six years, and she's going to have to figure out where she's going to college. Or you're going to play 12, and she never has to worry about anything the rest of her life. And it's up to you.' Sometimes it works. Sometimes, you know . . .

"I hate having those meetings. But if you don't have them, I think you hurt the team."

VACATION PLANS: Redskins defensive tackle Brandon Noble is one of the most diligent workers on the team. But when the season ends Sunday, he plans to make himself scarce around Redskin Park.

"I've been here since two Augusts ago," he said.

Noble signed with the Redskins as a free agent in March of 2003. Then, in the second preseason game that year, he suffered a devastating knee injury. At the time, it wasn't clear that he would be able to play again.

But he did all the rehabilitation asked of him, which meant he spent a lot of time at Redskin Park between his surgery and the start of the 2004 preseason.

"I won't be at the facility for a while," Noble said. "That will probably last until my wife wants me off the sofa and out of the house.

"The longest I've ever been able to make it away from working out is three weeks. Starting again in February would be nice."

That still will be about a month sooner than many of his teammates begin their workouts. - Paul Woody

This story can be found at: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779948605&path=%21sports%21redskins&s=1045855935462

Gibbs the master motivator!!!

This shows that after 15 games the O is still not on the same page....Gibbs has his work cut out for him, and Ramsey better be at Redskins park everyday this offseason, studying film, throwing to the WR's and working out....This is his make or break yr next yr...

"I've had talks with guys, I just had one of these two weeks ago, and I told this guy, 'The coach who works with you said you can go to the Pro Bowl. But you aren't going to go because you don't want to go to the Pro Bowl. I'm just telling you this for you and your family. What you're going to do is bounce from team to team to team unless you get in gear. And you're going to wind up a mess.'

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Archived