Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Offense Is Better When We're Behind

RedskinzOwnU

has anyone noticed that some of our biggest plays of the season only come when we are behind in a game? that pass to coles in the last 30 seconds was great. the long pass to cooley vs the eagles 2 weeks ago. why? because when we are behind, gibbs stops being conservative, he stops the crappy run formations with portis that always net about 2 yds, and the 6 yd hitches to gardner and coles - he actually lets us open it up a bit. If gibbs called his plays all the time like he does when we are behind, we would probably do a lot better on offense. Its easy when the D knows they only have to cover an area that spans 10 yds from the line of scrimmage Even if we didnt connect on one long pass all season, the mere attempt to do so would have gotten us at least 1-2 long pass intereference calls. our offense is so boring to watch when we can do so much more even with the current talent on the roster

I kinda agree, but let's not forget this is still the same Coach as in the 80's. The major difference is that we don't have a line to allow Coach to be conservative enough. I think he knows we need to take shots, but he doesn't want give the opposition an upper hand right off the bat. It suxx but this is what we have. I understand we all need to be patient, but patience is just wearing thin isn't it?!?

I recall hearing that Mike Martz is renowned for using 3rd down and 4th quarter plays on the opening drive. His inspiration for the plays? Joe Gibbs and Norv Turner... Joe doesn't need a superior offensive line to get the ball down field. If a team knows that he is gonna go deep at least twice a drive, maybe they don't play so close to the line of scrimmage and blitz like crazy. Personally, I think thats worth a 5 yard loss on a sack if we can gain 40-50 yards in our running game.

Archived