Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A 'Proven Team' gets the Pro Bowl votes

freakofthesouth

The NFL is smart, in a sense that, they build their icons, and tailor their national endorsements around teams that are winning. Micheal Vick, Terrel Owens, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady...all have had relative success in this league. This has helped to keep overall interest in the league very high, by focusing the national media, in a sense, toward winning teams.

My real point is this: The Redskins haven't been a good team, any way you cut it. Yeah, our D has been great, but they haven't been winning games. The Ravens' D isn't ranked as high as ours, yet they get more recognition because they win games. Ed Reed, for instance, was a shoe-in.

Basically, the reason why the Eagles have 9 selctions, and we have 1, is the difference in our records, plain and simple. Right or wrong, that is the case, and the NFL will continue, in everyway, to showcase icons from winning teams. Thus, voting for the Pro Bowl will always be skewed toward those players that have big endorsements, good teams, and good press.

Originally posted by nace14

i would buy that if the selection were made by the NFL and the owners, but it doesn't speak true since the players are selected by the players, coaches, and fans (supposidly)

I think the bulk of the voting comes from the fans. Fans, like us, are influenced heavily by what the television shows us (endorsements), and what the press writes to us. So, w/ that in mind, the teams that have the best press, i.e., the best teams, get the most recognition; and therefore, the most popular teams have the most Pro Bowl players.

BTW, someone in another thread was accusing the Pro Bowl voting of being a 'popularity contest'. Well...that's exactly what it is!!!

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

I think the bulk of the voting comes from the fans. Fans, like us, are influenced heavily by what the television shows us (endorsements), and what the press writes to us. So, w/ that in mind, the teams that have the best press, i.e., the best teams, get the most recognition; and therefore, the most popular teams have the most Pro Bowl players.

BTW, someone in another thread was accusing the Pro Bowl voting of being a 'popularity contest'. Well...that's exactly what it is!!!

I wouldn't mind if the NFL took away the right for the fan to vote. Just look at the NBA, it's based all on fan vote and the All-Star is a joke. I rather have players in there that deserve to be there instead on players getting in because of their reputation.

Originally posted by The X-Factor

I wouldn't mind if the NFL took away the right for the fan to vote. Just look at the NBA, it's based all on fan vote and the All-Star is a joke. I rather have players in there that deserve to be there instead on players getting in because of their reputation.

I totally agree w/ you there. If it's just the players/ coaches voting, say, for other teams only...man; that would almost ensure that the best players are in.

Because, again, I really feel like the general public is very, very swayed by the media. The Pro Bowl is for the best players, not the best teams.

the bulk definetely does come from the fans, but i was pretty sure that they all count as a third toward the total selection. i could easily be wrong.

regardless, who the media pushes doesn't affect the sway as much as what team you root for. honestely, do you think there is any redskins fan who voted for lito sheppard over smoot? the media just balances out with the loyalty vote.

I agree. Screw the popularity contest. Besides becoming a Pro Bowler is a huge accomplishment for a player. If they play above and beyond other players of a similar position, then they deserve the pro bowl label. Why should a players team have to win in order for him to make the pro bowl? Now I'm gonna go look at stats and find out which Redskin really got the short end of the stick.

Originally posted by jimster

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we don't have a bunch of "look at me" players on our team, record is secondary.

This is a good point Jimbo.

Our D sports the 'no-name' variety of D. I'll take the #2 defense w/ a bunch of 'no-names', smaller egos, and smaller contracts, any day of the week.

Wrong... Fans count as 1/3, players 1/3, coaches 1/3. So if the fans all vote for Lito Sheppard, but the coaches and players all think he sucks... chances are he's not going to be a pro bowler.

Originally posted by jakehunter

Wrong... Fans count as 1/3, players 1/3, coaches 1/3. So if the fans all vote for Lito Sheppard, but the coaches and players all think he sucks... chances are he's not going to be a pro bowler.

Thanks for your insight. I think I speak for everyone when I say, we are all very happy that you are here.

Whatever snakehunter! You come here just to butt heads. Point is with the number 2 defense in the league how can only one person make it to the Pro Bowl. What NFL is telling us is that M. Washington is single handedly the second best defense in the league. Last time I checked there were 10 other guys on the field with him come game time.

Archived