Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Case You Weren't Following Trotter / Reid Feud

Reaganaut

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/misc/1364565.html

Trotter let go amid feud with Reid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Sal Paolantonio

ESPN

I had never heard this much anger in Andy Reid's voice.

It was Sunday afternoon, and all weekend on sports talk radio, on the streets and at the cheesesteaks counters of Philadelphia, Reid -- the head coach of Philly's beloved Eagles -- had been getting his brains beaten in.

Most likely, any celebrating Jeremiah Trotter does next season will not be with the Eagles.

The reason: the Eagles' announcement late Friday afternoon that they were removing the franchise tag from Pro Bowl middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, the Eagles' leading tackler the past three seasons, effectively releasing him with no prospect of getting anything in return.

I myself was perplexed at this seemingly indefensible move. So, I called Reid to get the benefit of his thinking, and to find out what his team planned to do to replace the only Eagles player in team history voted to two Pro Bowls by the age of 25.

I reached Reid on his cell phone. He was at a conference at his church near where he lives in Villanova. But not even his house of worship could contain the near rage I could sense he was feeling -- both about how the negotiations with Trotter dragged on and then deteriorated, and how he was getting excoriated from Pennsauken to Pottstown about discarding one of the Eagles most popular players.

"I've gone through this before -- for taking Donovan (McNabb) in the draft to the wide receivers last year -- and the last time I looked we were five points from the Super Bowl last year," said Reid, who last season led the Eagles to their first NFC East title in 12 years.

The divorce between Trotter and the Eagles happened in a fit of anger late Friday afternoon.

For most of last week, Reid spent hours huddled with his scouting and pro personnel staff, going over the April 20 NFL draft, and, invariably, the subject of Trotter's status would bubble to the surface. Trotter had shunned the offer sheet, which would have guaranteed him $5.515 million this season, as prescribed by the franchise tag. He had not shown up for the off-season workout. And his agent, Jim Sexton, was still demanding a trade.

But history shows trades are tough to do in the NFL, especially if it's clear that the player and the team are at an impasse, as was the case here. On Friday, sources say, the Eagles made one last ditch attempt to work out a deal with Cleveland. The Browns would have received Trotter and wide receiver Todd Pinkston in exchange for Cleveland's wideout Kevin Johnson -- a teammate of McNabb's at Syracuse -- and a draft choice. The Browns said no.

And Reid emerged from the meeting Friday angrier than anybody in the organization can remember.

"I was done," Reid told me Sunday. "I had had it. He cooked his own goose."

The "he" Reid is referring to, of course, is Trotter. And within an hour of that meeting Friday, the Eagles had removed the franchise tag and Trotter was a free man.

Said one senior member of the Eagles organization, "This became personal between Reid and Trotter. Trotter was hanging a sign of disrespect out there in the Eagles locker room -- and Reid was saying, 'You know what, I run this ship, not you.' "

What happened between Trotter and Reid is similar to what happened between Reid's mentor, Mike Holmgren, and disgruntled wide receiver Joey Galloway in Seattle. But at least there, the long, acrimonious impasse resulted in the Seahawks getting two No.1 draft choices for Galloway from the Cowboys.

"Andy's a lot like Mike," said one NFC coach who knows both men. "You don't want to show them up. It's not pleasant."

I respectfully pointed out to Reid that the Ravens had a Super Bowl championship to show for it, and that any Eagles fan would trade five seasons under the salary cap for one Lombardi Trophy -- maybe 10 seasons.

And there are many in the Eagles organization who believe this was a test of wills between Trotter and Reid. For two years, Trotter has said he deserved to be paid in the $6 million a year range -- that he was worth at least as much as Pro Bowl middle linebacker Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens. The Eagles, who have gotten high marks for managing the salary cap, said $4 million per season was Trotter's market value.

Reid tried to make the argument to me that teams that overpay for players wind up unraveling. Look at the Baltimore Ravens, Reid said.

"If I give Trotter what he wants, I may have to cut two or three players down the road, and I can't do that," said Reid.

I respectfully pointed out to Reid that the Ravens had a Super Bowl championship to show for it, and that any Eagles fan would trade five seasons under the salary cap for one Lombardi Trophy -- maybe 10 seasons.

So, now what happens? How do the Eagles replace a player voted by his peers as the defensive MVP in 2001?

"We'll be all right," said Reid.

The new middle linebacker will be reserve weakside linebacker Barry Gardner, who was drafted in the second round in 1999 to play middle linebacker, but couldn't beat Trotter for the job.

Gardner is not as big as Trotter and not as fierce a hitter. And Reid acknowledged that Gardner will come off the field in nickel situations, leaving newly acquired free agent outside linebacker Shawn Barber and veteran strong side linebacker Carlos Emmons to handle pass defense duties. Trotter rarely came off the field on third downs.

Gardner is considered a smart player, but what they lose in Trotter is a fiery leader, a great downhill middle linebacker who was perfectly suited for the attack style of defense designed by blitz-at-all-cost defensive coordinator Jimmy Johnson. Trotter, who skipped out of school to chop wood for his dad in Texas, walked as a man among men in the Eagles' locker room. It will be tough for Gardner to step into those shoes.

And Reid will have to suffer through a summer of discontent in Philly, much like what befell former owner Norman Braman when he allowed Hall of Fame defensive end Reggie White to leave for Green Bay a decade ago.

Then, however, White was 31 years old, and there was a real debate about whether he was past his prime. Of course, he wasn't. Trotter is only 25. His best football might be ahead of him.

And one more thing -- when White left for the Packers, the Eagles were compensated with two first-round draft choices. When Trotter leaves town, the Eagles probably will get a compensatory third-round choice next spring, but in the meantime they will be left holding a well-managed salary cap.

And, as of a week ago, the Eagles were $5 million under the $71.7 million salary cap -- the most room under the cap of any of the playoff teams last season.

I can imagine a feud getting personal enough that a coach has to let a valuable guy go even for no compensation.

The thing I am trying to understand in this case is with so much available cap room and few marquee players (the Eagles are a team of solid workmanlike players not all-stars for the most part) how a deal couldn't have gotten struck BEFORE all the acrimony set in?

I honestly don't know what Philly is waiting to do with all that money.

They have made modest moves to inquire about Warrick Dunn and Cris Carter, but have not pulled the trigger on anything of great value.

They only signed Shawn Barber to a one year deal for $1.5 million. And they added Blaine Bishop, who has had some real injury problems.

But they still don't have a backup qb, nor do they have a franchise back (apologies to Staley and Burkhalter). They also don't have an elite receiver, at least not until Mitchell develops.

Reid should not be satisfied with going to the conference title game last season because fortunes in the NFL change on a dime.

The Bucs and their fans thought their appearance in 1999 against the Rams (also a 5 point defeat) heralded a time when Tampa would be making trips to the Super Bowl.

Didn't happen. Now the team is being gutted and rebuilt with a new coach.

Who thought in 1999 that Tony Dungy would be let go in just 2 years?

I bet they think the same thing now in Philly about Reid.

Originally posted by bulldog

I can imagine a feud getting personal enough that a coach has to let a valuable guy go even for no compensation.

I think its absurd, and Andy Reid would like to have that decision back now. Because there was still plenty of time up to and including the draft to trade Trotter (with an agreement between Jeremiah and the other team to re-work his franchise-tender longterm). Business decisions made out of anger and frustration often aren't the right moves.

The thing I am trying to understand in this case is with so much available cap room and few marquee players (the Eagles are a team of solid workmanlike players not all-stars for the most part) how a deal couldn't have gotten struck BEFORE all the acrimony set in?

Jeremiah, off of a 2000 season as a pro-bowl alternate, thought he deserved a tad more money than the ~5year/$15million offer the Eagles put on the table (figures come from Trotter's agent, Sexton). The Eagles didn't agree, and transition-tag'd him. To make a long off-season short, he wound up making $1.5 million in 2002. I suppose this is where acrimony set in, as Jeremiah continued to voice publicly his displeasure with his contract and management -- despite the fact that his head coach had labeled the matter "closed" until the off-season.

I honestly don't know what Philly is waiting to do with all that money.

Me either, their capologist Joe Banner keeps them in the running for the salary cap superbowl every season. If not for their progressions, this might get a lot more attention.

They have made modest moves to inquire about Warrick Dunn and Cris Carter, but have not pulled the trigger on anything of great value.

To be fair, the Eagles were anything but modest about trying to obtain Warrick Dunn. In fact, team leaks to the media suggested a deal was going to be struck soon, however Warrick left Philadelphia without signing a deal to visit other teams. Eventually the Eagles came to the conclusion that they were being used to drive up his asking price in Atlanta (given their cap space and need at RB), and they publicly withdrew their interest.

That they haven't signed Cris Carter yet is a mystery. Carter has said he would play in Philadelphia for the veteran minimum, and even accept a role as a #3 backup WR. I had heard that the Eagles didn't believe he would accept a supporting role, and that he might create trouble in the lockeroom -- sounds like nonsense to me, why can't they just sign him and cut him if he's a nuisance?

They only signed Shawn Barber to a one year deal for $1.5 million. And they added Blaine Bishop, who has had some real injury problems.

2 free agents straight out of rehab. Bishop is, I think, is an upgrade over Damon Moore coming off a torn ACL in the NFC Championship. But letting Mike Caldwell go, a servicable 31 year old WLB with good contributions, doesn't make sense. Chicago didn't break the bank retaining his services, it seems as if the Eagles had no interest at all. I don't feel Barber's health status is clear enough to not call this a step backwards in talent.

But they still don't have a backup qb, nor do they have a franchise back (apologies to Staley and Burkhalter). They also don't have an elite receiver, at least not until Mitchell develops.

Ty Detmer, their veteran backup QB, is incapable of competent play in the NFL as a starter. He was outshined in the pre-season and in a regular season matchup with the Bucs by #3 QB AJ Feeley, a rookie. While AJ Feeley might have some physical abilities, he is not the Eagles` answer to needing a competent veteran to backup McNabb. And lets face it, if McNabb isn't playing, the Eagles are probably a .500 team. I think Jeff Blake would be the perfect fit there, if he was willing to take a backup role at a backup contract.

The Eagles feel Buckhalter showed last year that he is capable of being very productive at 20-25 carries per game. I don't agree. They might draft a RB to groom and cut Staley before next season.

Reid should not be satisfied with going to the conference title game last season because fortunes in the NFL change on a dime.

I don't interpret that quote as him being neccessarily satisfied with going to a conference championship. I think he means to say "Considering where this team was, and where I've taken them, I think I should get the benefit of the doubt in these decisions". I've always though Reid was arrogant, but until that statement he's never really come out and proved it.

Fortunes do change quickly in the NFL, that is certain. The Eagles would tell you their perceived 'low ball' style of negotiations is what makes them competitive down the road. In other words, they believe that by not maximizing their chances at winning a SuperBowl in one season, they keep their window open for an extended period of time but at a reduced chance of winning each year. I must say I tend to agree with this philosophy, because nobody wins a SuperBowl these days without some luck, but not with the way the Eagles practice it.

The Bucs and their fans thought their appearance in 1999 against the Rams (also a 5 point defeat) heralded a time when Tampa would be making trips to the Super Bowl.

The Bucs thought they were "one piece away" in the last 2 seasons and signed Keyshawn Johnson and Brad Johnson in successive years to overpriced contracts. Now they've traded away future for a new head coach. I just think this is poor personnel management complimenting a bad Offensive Coordinator.

Didn't happen. Now the team is being gutted and rebuilt with a new coach.

Who thought in 1999 that Tony Dungy would be let go in just 2 years?

I didn't think Tony Dungy would be let go THIS year, that situation was salvagable in my opinion. A competent offensive coordinator would have worked wonders for that team. But I take your re-iteration of an earlier point, that fortunes can change quickly.

I bet they think the same thing now in Philly about Reid.

Archived