Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could I get some help from computer geeks, I mean, friends?

TODD

Do you think that deep down Hillary Clinton glad that John Kerry lost the election?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that deep down Hillary Clinton glad that John Kerry lost the election?

• Yes
    • No

I have a not-so-good Compaq Armada v300 laptop.

A few weeks ago I tried to hooked my laptop up to the family printer and it would not print. When I took it back upstairs, my mouse would not work and a recurring error message came up.

"Power Surge on Hub Port" USB Hub has exceeded power limit.

Basically, my USB port is done and I can't hook anything up to it. Very much sucks.

Is there anything at all I can do to get my USB working without buying a new motherboard? Is there some sort of adaptor I can get?

What OS are you using.

I had a similar problem with my USB ports. I have a really old laptop. I ended up removing 98 and putting XP on it. Not sure how I got it working (it's really slow too). But the XP drivers for USB support in XP is a lot better. But, if the port itself is fubar, then you are out of luck.

Not sure if they make an adaptor from USB to serial, or if you have a serial port on your laptop.

Opiate,

I'm using XP Pro, and there's no way to get it back if I were to uninstall it. I bought from someone as an old work comp. The USB to serial is interesting if it exists.

HeHateIggles,

I'll most definitely have to check out the PC-Card adaptors. I'm not using a wireless card there so that would be most practical if they're cheap.

Thank you both.

Originally posted by TODD

Opiate,

I'm using XP Pro, and there's no way to get it back if I were to uninstall it. I bought from someone as an old work comp. The USB to serial is interesting if it exists.

HeHateIggles,

I'll most definitely have to check out the PC-Card adaptors. I'm not using a wireless card there so that would be most practical if they're cheap.

Thank you both.

Sorry, somtimes I forget that not everyone pirates software :laugh:

Did some research and found this page with a bunch of converters. I think there is at least 1 you could use.

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--46002,keyword--serial%20to%20usb,lp--1,mkt_id--17074864,rf--ggl,sfsk--2.html

Also, here is a PCMCIA USB card that HEHATEIGGLES was mentioning.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000683E3/qid=1099621447/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-8682291-3700147?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Originally posted by Opiate-Zeo

Sorry, somtimes I forget that not everyone pirates software :laugh:

Did some research and found this page with a bunch of converters. I think there is at least 1 you could use.

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--46002,keyword--serial%20to%20usb,lp--1,mkt_id--17074864,rf--ggl,sfsk--2.html

Also, here is a PCMCIA USB card that HEHATEIGGLES was mentioning.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000683E3/qid=1099621447/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-8682291-3700147?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Thanks for taking the time to look those up for me. I think the PCMCIA card looks like my best bet, and $40 is reasonable. All the ones I was finding was in the $60-$80 range. Definitely appreciate your help, Opiate.

Was the printer an all-in-one type of printer? What have you done in the meantime to try and fix and/or troubleshoot the issue? Are you sure that the USB port is really dead?

Have you...

Tried checking Device Manager to see if there are any alerts there?

Restarting the laptop with nothing connected to the USB port?

Re-installing the mouse?

Using a USB to PS2 adaptor?

Have you...

Yes. The "Port has exceeded Power Limit". When I turn off the device the pop up goes away

Yes. No help.

Re-installing the mouse?

Nope, but everything on the usb is dead.

Not quite sure what that is..

Originally posted by TODD

Have you...

Yes. The "Port has exceeded Power Limit". When I turn off the device the pop up goes away

Yes. No help.

Re-installing the mouse?

Nope, but everything on the usb is dead.

Not quite sure what that is..

A USB to PS2 adaptor will usually come with a USB mouse or keyboard and will typically be green if it's with a mouse or purple if it's with a keyboard. It'd allow you to use your mouse still without hooking it up via PS2. Might be cheaper than the USB PCMCIA card if you don't need USB for anything. Local tech shops and/or Radio Shack would probably have one.

Archived