Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Center's the position not the player

KirkNC

We have Raymer coming back from injury, Fischer who did not impress at all last season when given the opportunity; and who else?

Looks like Leuwenberg may not make it back, any of the other guys on the roster have any experience at center?

I would not be suprised to see free agent rookie Brandt make the squad ahead of Fischer. To me Fischer was really a weak link in the o line last year.

It always seemed to me that of all the positions, the center needs to be a vet who has been on the team a while. As the head of the offensive line he has to know everyone else dwon there and when your center goes down, the rplacement will always suffer. Fisher never took the snaps in training camp, and that hurt him a lot. and then there's the injury... long stury short i agree witht he chosen one. Give the guy some time and he'll do okay. He learned a lot last year, and as a backup the guy did fine. WE can't expect to have backups who will come off the bench to play well for 12 games its just not going to happen. So as of right now, Fisher is a servicable backup, Raymer is a good starter, lets get a defense before we worry. Our o-line is shaping up.

-DB

First, I disagree that Fischer showed he could not play. After watching the wins over Tampa and Baltimore early in the season and seeing Davis go over 90 yards in both games, you would not have said that.

His play tailed off as other players around him went out with injuries and he himself got injured. He also as a first year starter had a lot to learn and veterans around the league found some holes in his game.

But that is part of the maturation process. That is what getting a chance to start is all about. So now in the offseason Fischer and the coaches work on those aspects of his game that need improvement.

The guy was a #5 pick and yet some of you seemed to expect to see the play of a polished veteran or #1 pick out there from day one.

Things don't work like that in the NFL.

As far as Brandt goes, TSN had him rated as one of the best undrafted free agent linemen in May. With his record playing for a good college program, I think he has a chance to stick on the team.

The poster was correct when noting intelligence is an important factor for a center, who makes all the line calls. A smart player with some toughness and competitiveness can overcome the lack of great athletic ability at center.

Just look at Jeff Bostic. Remember his name was "doughboy" originally, not exactly a nickname a chiseled, sculpted athlete is given by his teammates.

If he is healthy, Raymer is a bargain at center for $750,000 in 2001.

We will have to see what Brandt and Fischer have to offer during the season.

My guess is Fischer is a better football player now then he was at the end of last year based on his experience on the field and a chance to work on and improve his game.

Archived