Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets all be honest fellows.

jonjeff

Excluding Primetime21, who out there thinks that everything would be fine with Dieon returning to the Skins this season? After all that has happened the past month with Sanders I feel he burned his bridge down. There is no good way for him to return to this team. Anything he says now is after the fact. He stated his feelings very clearly the past few weeks. He can't take back what he said about this organization, and its head coach. The Skins should go with Green and Smoot opposite Baily. Any thoughts on this topic fellows?

It would be great if slimetime returns. He would have to earn his check, gives us a year to groom Smoot,Harrison,and Greer. And it makes our Cap situation better when we can release him june of 2K2 instead of this year

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

The ideal situation is that he negotiates the return of at least half his bonus then we cut him.

The second best is that he plays one more year and we cut him after June 2002 (WAY after June 2002 laugh.gif ).

The worst is that we cut him this season with no return of bonus.

[edited.gif by Terry on June 10, 2001.]

Terry,

If we do get Deion to return some of his bonus, would it change how much of the bonus is prorated? Or would we still be obligated to take the prorated portion of the full $8 million cap hit over the next two years?

Primetime21,

His comments were that the Redskins were going to eventually release him anyway so why not do it now. He said he would jump in the air and click his heels with joy when he was released. He said he didn't trust Schottonheimer as far as he could throw him. He said it would be nice to sit back and do nothing to receive his money from the Redskins. He said he could then bid his services out to a playoff contending club. Need I go on? These comments were in the Washington Post and other various sporting sites the past few weeks. I'm surprised you haven't seen any of them. I guess maybe you can now see why he is so hated aroung here.

Nope, actually I've seen them all...and to be quite honest I see nothing that would make Marty hate him, who wouldn't want to do nothing and get paid for it? I know sure as hell that I would love to sleep in til 12 noon tomorrow and still get paid and as far as the not trusting Marty quote he said that it was an off the cuff statement to someone in which he said "he didnt trust it", with it being the situation of the Redskins keeping him, I can also see why he didnt come to Washington for the fans because they have treated him quite poorly...Quite frankly pro athletes have said much worse and have come back, look no further than the NBA finals (ie. Iverson & Larry Brown, Shaq & Kobe)

------------------

http://www.houseofprime.net

I don't know..how about the time he was steamed because Marty didn't clear it through him, or notify him that Ray Rhoades was leaving. That is something that would tend to p!ss of the regular guy, it did me. If you want to look at the world throut Deion colored glasses, that is fine with me, but you are not going to make people here like Deion, so you may as well stop trying.

------------------

2d Infantry Division Warriors..2nd to None

Trust me man, I know that is a lost cause and deservedly so perhaps...That junk about not consulting him was mere fluff from Deion as an excuse not to be frowned upon for going back to baseball IMO, just showing props to Rhodes too!

I'm not trying to make everyone in here like Deion because everyone has their own opinon but I'm just saying dont be surprised if Deion is in a Skins uniform come Sept.

------------------

http://www.houseofprime.net

I agree with you on a lot of things PT21, and i find there's a lot to like about deion. He enjoys what he does and is like a small child realizing his dream. HE gets to play football every day. I think it is marty's job to put the best team out there, and deion is the second best corner on our roster by a significant amount.

However, i worry about what it does to marty's credibility with the team. He stresses things like on time, and fundamentals. If he does something that APPEARS like preferential treatment, it might have repercussions. I think its going to come down to how the team feels. I think marty will get a feel for how the rest of the team feels about deion and if they want him i see no problem in having him return. Marty looks like a chump in the media, so what, if the players are behind him then they'll play like it. Deion is the better back, but i think its the players attitude that is going to matter most.

-DB

Hey Blade,

I would have to assume that since he didn't receive his full bonus, then the amount of cap impact would be the new bonus value, prorated over two years. We'd pay half this year and half next year.

So let's say we renegotiated the remaining balance ($8M - $1.15M = $6.85M) down to $3M. Deion would then return $3.85M of bonus back to us.

The question then becomes how would the league view that, and how would it pro-rate it?

I'd imagine that the easiest way would be to cut it in half because it's after June 2nd, and spread it over two seasons. So we'd have a cap hit of $1.5M for both this season and next (2002).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/leaguesandsports/nfl/20002001/washingtonredskins/A48555-2001Jun10.html

Personally I wouldn't mind Deion being here one more year with Marty running the show. Less Media near the players, Deion can't just refuse to practice once the Reds cut him. He'll be in camp working like a dog, he'll bizitch and moan then Marty will force him to fetch 20 laps. woof woof.

Anyways he did only give up one TD and with him and Darrell they are kinda good teachers for the newer secondary. I dunno, it just seems very possible.

------------------

Late

Archived