Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lack of a "FullBack"?

Chrisbob74

Now before you all scream "Gibbs doesn't use a fullback"......I know we don't keep a guy as a fullback but Gibbs used to use one of his TE's/H-Backs in that role a lot as a lead blocker. Any reason why we haven't seen so much of it this time around, or am I blind? :silly:

I was assuming we would see a lot of Rasby lining up at FB at times, would Portis benifit from someone lead blocking from the FB spot more?

Sellars has been a FB for us before, Donnie Warren and Ron Middleton used to line up there and lead the way many moons ago and Otis Wonsley was maybe the one true fullback (as far as he was a blocker and short yardage guy from that spot) we have used.

Should we be using a lead blocker from the backfield more?

I agree that this is a problem.

All teams need to do is pressure us up the gut, and the portection breaks down. He has to have plays utilizing the H-back in that role. Sellers will kill people.

Gibbs had better open up his playbook this weekend. These players have to know it by now; otherwise, we're predictable, and ineffective.

Originally posted by codeorama

Me personally, I just think it's hard for a quick back like Portis to run out of all the bunched formations that we run out of.

Portis would have been a better fit in Spurrier's offense IMO, while Steven Davis would have been a better fit for Gibbs.

I agree Code, about Portis being to quick. He seems to run up the back of his blockers at times, and not letting the plays develop fully.

Archived