Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Changes to NFL/C.B.A.

88Comrade2000

Any suggestions to what you would change in the nfl or to the Collective Bargaining Agreement? Or is the nfl/c.b.a. fine to you and no changes are necessary?

My changes to the nfl:

1. Go ahead with those realignment plans but keep the playoffs at 12 teams only.

2. Reduction of preseason to 2-3 games.

3a. This would never happen but an expansion to an 18 game season.

b. A bizarre idea: expansion to a 17 game season. Opening weekend would still be Labor Day weekend. You could rotate the 9th home game every other year or have that extra game the 1st week of the season in other cities. Note: only non-divisional games would be considered.

4. Rotate the draft to other cities besides New York.

5. Extend the trading deadline to the 9 week of the season.

6. Reduction of the draft to 5 rounds.

7. Offer the satellite par for view package to cable subscribers.

8. No byes the 1st month of the season.

9. The last month of the season must be divisional matchups.

My changes to the C.B.A.

1. Rookies can only earn the minimum salary plus incentives bonuses in year one. No signing bonuses for rookies. Tired of paying these guys $$$; when they haven't proved a thing in the nfl.

2. Players can negotiate a long term contract in year two.

3. Free Agency may have to be after 3 years to get the players to ever agree to a rookie wage with incentives.

4. The elimination of the franchise tag. I hate that tag, as franchise designation has brought nothing but problems. This is one issue where I actually side with the players, that all players should be able to shop themselves.

5. I would replace the franchise tag with a modified transition tag. Players who are tagged are now free to shop themselves but the compensation to team losing that player is 1st,3rd rounds picks; if they choose not to pay that player that.

6. Change in the way signing bonuses are spread out. Instead of equal amounts counting against the cap; a certain percentage counts against the cap with larger percentage in the beginning and then steadily decreasing amounts in the future. This will never happen either but it would reduce the inequities this loophole has brought about.

7. Have a 10 year rule. Player who have been with a team for 10 years can have their next contract only partially count against the cap. A certain percentage counts each year. That amount would be greater than 50%. A reward to long term players.

I'm sure there's some more.

Archived