Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen Davis

red zone

It was obvious that SOS didn't want to turn to SD to make his offense go. In SOS's first season, the games that he did ride Davis or the running game, he was successful (Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams...) but in the end OBC was too stubborn to change his system.

SD was a valuable and would have been a great fit for the the JG offense. But his cap number was getting out of control--I think his cap number for the season he was cut (correct me if I'm wrong)was nearing $11M or so. That's just too much $ to pay for his services. Sure you could have reworked it but then you would just be putting off the inevitable.

It was obvious that SOS didn't want to turn to SD to make his offense go. In SOS's first season, the games that he did ride Davis or the running game, he was successful (Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams...) but in the end OBC was too stubborn to change his system.

We didn't play the Cardinals in SOS's first year, though. Those were two games a year that were a given win.

Then again... SD cost us at least one game against them with an untimely fumble, a la Dallas, 2001... :doh:

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

We didn't play the Cardinals in SOS's first year, though.

Tisk Tisk young padowan. You should know to consult the GAMES DATABASE when you make a statement about the record of the Skins.

The FIRST regular season game by Spurrier was against the Cards, and was a win as you can see from the search I included in the above link.

Originally posted by Blade

Tisk Tisk young padowan. You should know to consult the GAMES DATABASE when you make a statement about the record of the Skins.

The FIRST regular season game by Spurrier was against the Cards, and was a win as you can see from the search I included in the above link.

I think Davis had like 100 yards rushing and 25 recieving, and the annoucers were saying it wouldn't work and he puts up those numbers :) (from memory might not be accurate about the numbers)

I doubt you hear a peep about SD this year and us with Gibbs and Portis here :cheers:

Originally posted by Blade

D'oh!!!! :doh:

That's what I get for hitting "submit reply," I suppose... :laugh:

Nick

Yes, I was at that Cardinals game Spurrier's first year. He seemed pretty pumped to win that game. I remember thinking to myself, "uh oh, we barely beat the Cards, we may be in for a long year". And, we were.

:cool:

Yeah Stephen Davis did have that problem of fumbles but he was awesome. I wish you could actually spell career not carrier, REDZONE. That would be nice. The reason they had so much scutiny last year is because they didnt bring in a replacement until this year. You wont hear anybody saying anything about davis this year.

I kind of liked skip hicks. He ran hard and caught the ball well. I also think ladell betts is a good back. He would have kept the starting job had he not gotten injured those six weeks.

anyways

Portis is going to be awesome so who cares about davis

All things happen for a reason.(we have Portis now) I liked SD for the many positive reasons folks stated here.

Yeah the fumbles hurt...and being injured at inopportune times wasn't good either, but he was a definite work horse that pounded the ball, and a good guy. I don't hate on him now that he is a panther...but at the same time, we go against him/them he's the enemy *lol*

man I cant wait! yahoo fantasy is up to register...the season is comming. Training camp starts in about 24 days or so.

The fans of this team have it moe than any other.

When ever it becomes likely that a player is going to get cut or traded, the fans start looking at the bad side of em.

It was done to Brad Johnson

It was done to Stephen Davis

It was done to Champ Bailey

It was also done to Smoot and Gardner when there where trade rumor floating about them. As the rumors died down, so did the hate.

This had got to stop, just cause they arn't on our team, doesn't mean they arn't good anymore.

Brad Johnson is a Future Hall of Famer

Stephen Davis is the Best Back the skins have ever had

And Champ Bailey is still the best corner in the NFL right now.

Originally posted by panel

I'm sure you'll find several people to debate all those statements with valid reasons here sometime this AM. I don't agree with you, but it's far too early for me to think that hard right now... ;)

I can't count the times I yelled at my TV over the past two years for Bailey giving up a big play or, before getting cut, when I got frustrated with SD either having a case of butterfingers or getting injured. My disappointment in the performance of either certainly wasn't anything new or a result of them getting shipped off elsewhere.

As far as Brad Johnson getting into the HOF... what?!?!?!?? :laugh:

Nick

I know Davis put the ball on the ground a bit, but when you compare the number of carries per season and the number of times he fumbles in a season, Davis is fine. He's a power back that makes his money between the tackles. Often facing 8 in the box are a lot of hands reaching for a ball tucked by only two hands. I would take Davis in a heartbeat. Spurrier was an idiot and lost games because he couldn't adjust his system around a power back. He took Carolina to the Super Bowl in his first year with the team. Stephan works harder than most backs in the league and he is a class guy. He will be in the 'Skins Ring OF Fame one day. I refuse to diss that man after all he did for this team. Norv got a real gem in him.

I rooted for Davis in the playoffs and superbowl. I will never give up on any player that gave us their all and simply isn't with us anymore for any number of reasons. (See: Champ Bailey)

Davis was hurt all the time because we worked him like a dog. Who else was contributing on offense in those years?

I didn't blink when they got rid of him because I knew we were going to have a hard time paying him especially given the fact that SS wasn't going to use him. BUT, I wished him well and still do.

As to whether we're better off or not? Silly question... Each player changed during the last few years sets the dominos off in different directions.

I had a problem with Davis fumbling also but then again I had a problem with a lot things the Skins were doing Davis' last year with the team. I mean to get rid of Davis and replace him with Canidate was the most idiotic thing ever. People kept saying Davis didn't fit the offense. Well I guess Trung did huh? A good coach will find a way to get a back going. I've seen RB's of all shapes and sizes behind successful Denver and Washington teams. Spurrier was just stupid. I said at the beginning the Canidate wasn't jack. And to give him the job literally by default sickened me. What had he done? Never confuse a teams' success with a players' ability. I know our backs were hurt in the beginning in Trung's 1st year but he had already been penciled in as the starter. I told all of my friends that he wasn't that good. All i kep hearing was how fast he was. And the famous line "Man if he hits the 2nd level he's gone" Well what about his intermediate game. Every thing isn't gonna be a home run. That being said I woulda stuck with Stephen over Canidate.

Being the quarterback for a Super Bowl winner doesn't get you into the hall. Being one of the greatest players to ever play the game of football does. Brad Johnson, while perhaps a quality starter, in that Jay Fiedler type of way, doesn't deserve a bronze bust. I'm not going to have to walk through there with my kids and explain why Brad Johnson's head is there, I'm going to have to tell them about Joe Namath...and if all goes to plan, Patrick Ramsey..

Brian Mitchell...Earnest Byner...John Riggins...

yeah, Davis was awesome...but i dunno.

I'm sure there's some old-timers who can recall somebody from before my time, i'm sure we had some good runners in the 50s and 60s.

And Champ Bailey is still the best corner in the NFL right now

From all of the Champ Bailey coverage i've seen, it seems to me that either the pass doesn't get caught, or he takes a chance and gets burned for a big gain. Besides, there's no real way to determine who is absolutely the best at any position in football.

I apologize for fanning the fire, but i couldn't let these superlative statements just float away.

OK, maybe the Brad Johnson one is a little extreme, but he is far better than people gave credit for when he was here, and the other 2 are right on.

a.wrong - not even close, Joey T would have a better shot then him

b.wrong - never won a superbowl here i would but larry brown, riggins, and byner ahead of him, davis had a lot of yards but played one playoff game

c.wrong - he wasn't the best corner last year so how can he be it this year, Law is still #1

Originally posted by jbooma

a.wrong - not even close, Joey T would have a better shot then him

b.wrong - never won a superbowl here i would but larry brown, riggins, and byner ahead of him, davis had a lot of yards but played one playoff game

c.wrong - he wasn't the best corner last year so how can he be it this year, Law is still #1

a) yea, your probibly right there, I just blurted that out heat of the moment, I retract that part, but he wan't a garbage player either, he was quality.

b)If larry brown, riggins, or byner played on the same teams Davis did, they wouldn't have won any superbowls either, not even Riggins could have carried us with tony bands at qb, Davis is the only reason we got an 8-8 season last year.

c)I think Bailey is better, He didn't have as good pass russ helpin him or have as good defensive schemes, but still allowed less yards on his WR than Law did.

I loved watching Stephen Davis run...He was a great runner for us...I knew we were getting some yards on the down he was running..it all worked out in the end...but at that time..I wanted Spurrier out and Davis back in...

Archived