Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Clinton says he might have ordered attack on Iraq

RedskinsFanInTX

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/06/24/national0944EDT0523.DTL

Former President Clinton said he could have envisioned himself ordering an attack on Iraq if United Nations weapons inspectors had ended their search with the conclusion that Iraq had not cooperated.

"If Hans Blix had completed his inspections and said, 'They're not cooperating, and I cannot find out the truth, and they have refused to cooperate, and I'm done,' then I would have done so," Clinton said in the third part of a pre-taped interview aired on NBC's "Today" show Thursday.

Blix, the former chief U.N. weapons inspector, had asked for more time to complete inspections before the Iraq war.

Clinton said that now, "all Americans, whatever their politics" have an interest in seeing a stable, independent Iraq succeed.

"I think the chances are better than 50-50 that it will work over time," Clinton said. "But we're a long way from that."

Asked about the timing of the release of his memoir, "My Life," in relation to the presidential race, he said, "To say it would suck the lifeblood of the Kerry campaign I think is an insult to the American people."

"They can walk and chew gum at the same time," he said. "They know that a book about my presidency is different than the decision they have to make now."

Clinton said he thought Kerry "will be a good president."

"I think the American people will conclude that," he said. "I think we've got about a 50 percent chance to win."

Archived