Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jones 'ain't gonna pack it in' after loss

geezings81

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2004-05-18-jones-interview_x.htm

Jones 'ain't gonna pack it in' after loss

By Dan Rafael, USA TODAY

Roy Jones Jr. says he'll be just fine.

"I'm doing good. I'm dealing with it," Jones told USA TODAY on Tuesday in his first interview since leaving the ring Saturday in Las Vegas.

The "it" was the stunning, one-punch, second-round knockout loss he suffered against Antonio Tarver in the most shocking ending to a fight in recent memory.

Tarver's left hand ended Jones' stranglehold on the light heavyweight title and dumped him from the top spot on the pound-for-pound list as the world's greatest fighter, a position he held for a decade. Jones said he could deal with no longer being considered No. 1.

"I accept the fact," Jones said, the roosters on his Pensacola, Fla., farm crowing loudly in the background. "They're supposed to lower me after a result like that. But at 35, who stayed there as long as I did? This has been a wonderful life for me. One loss does not change that. Nothing can take away what I have accomplished just because of one punch."

Indeed, Jones won titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight, something never before accomplished.

Jones will carry on with his career, even if a rubber match with Tarver doesn't come off. He beat Tarver in a close fight last November to set up Saturday's rematch.

"Roy ain't gonna pack it in," he said. "I want to continue to fight. I am a true warrior."

He said his ability to deal with the surprising outcome was because he saw it coming.

"I had a premonition that I would get caught with a bad lick," Jones said. "Nothing I could do about it. I knew it was coming. I was so much more ready for this fight than the first one. But I had a premonition something like this would happen. I felt (the fight) wouldn't be like I wanted it to be. I was ready for this situation. But (Tarver) talks so damn much, so I hate that my day came with him.

"I'm giving him credit. He threw the lucky punch with his eyes closed. But I have to give him credit because he threw the punch at the right time."

Jones said he would return to the ring as soon as HBO cleared a date for him. When he returns expect to see him remain at light heavyweight, possibly against titlist Fabrice Tiozzo.

"I felt really good at light heavy and I feel I can do it again," he said. "If a big heavyweight fight comes, you take it. But if not I'll do my thing at light heavy."

A third Tarver fight appeals to him but only if the financial terms are palatable.

"I don't need Tarver," he said. "We're 1-1 but he's gonna talk crazy (about money). He knows he got lucky. He'll talk like he's the draw, but he's not. I am the draw. I'm still the man. They still want to see Roy Jones Jr. A 50-50 (purse) split ain't happening. But let me make it clear — Roy would love to go right back with Tarver again because I know I can whup him. But Roy is no one's slave. Roy is still the one people want to see, not Antonio Tarver."

So what was Jones' first thought after realizing what happened?

"You realize how the 49 people I beat felt," he said. "It's not a good feeling but God was going to make sure I went through that at least once. I just sat there for a minute and thought 'I did all I could do. Do I want to be mad? What is there to be mad at? What do I have to be ashamed of? You good, just keep going.' God put me through something like this in Korea" when Jones was robbed of a gold medal in the 1988 Olympics.

Instead of addressing the media in the news conference after the fight, Jones said he went to his hotel room to assure his upset three sons, 12-year-old twins and 4-year-old, that he was OK.

"And then I went to the after party," he said. "Why not? What do I have to be ashamed of? It's hard for most good fighters when they fall but since I always assumed you could die (in the ring), I always assumed this could happen. After all, I am a human being."

Tarver - Jones was a fair fight and we got to see Tarver bust him up. That is good enough.

If he's going to stay at light heavy but not fight Antonio Tarver, then I think he's basically 'packin it in.' Light heavyweight, outsidee of Tarver, is a VERY weak division.

Maybe he'll fight Joe Calzaghe(who is really at super middleweight). That would be a good fight and Calzaghe would have a decent chance at winning.

If they fight again, he'll beat him again.

I think Roy is best off just retiring or fighting John Ruiz again and then retiring.

That is what is best for his image, he can't afford another loss. Certainly not like this one. This one was damaging enough.

I'm actually pretty curious who would win in a Tyson-Jones, Jr. match. Tyson's skills have gone to hell, but he could definitely still catch Roy with a punch that would knock him out cold. What do you guys think? I'd have to give the edge to Roy in a fight vs. Tyson. It would be a pretty exciting fight.

Tyson hasn't had a fight in a long while. I think Roy is crafty enough to come away with a decision against Mike, and smart enough to not go toe to toe with him and get KO'd.

IMO Roy needs to fight Tarver again. If he doesn't, I think it proves deep down inside that he knows he can't beat Tarver.

Archived