Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins repeat offer to Holdman

Sanders 83

Redskins repeat offer to Holdman

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20040408-122357-7697r.htm

By Mark Zuckerman

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Still in the market for a linebacker, the Washington Redskins have made another contract offer to free agent Warrick Holdman, NFL sources said last night.

The club was waiting to hear from the former Chicago Bear, who has received interest from several clubs.

Washington made an initial offer to Holdman, 28, after he visited Redskin Park last month. The player also has had discussions with several other teams, including the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns and St. Louis Rams. Thus far, he has refrained from signing with anyone, perhaps hoping one of the teams would sweeten its offer.

Holdman, a five-year veteran who had 73 tackles last season, likely would play weakside linebacker with the Redskins, moving Marcus Washington to middle linebacker and return LaVar Arrington to the strongside position.

A Holdman signing also probably would bump Kevin Mitchell to the bench. The veteran middle linebacker was given a chance to play with the first-string defense during minicamp two weeks ago in place of Jeremiah Trotter, who was told by the Redskins he should seek a trade.

A fourth?round draft pick from Texas A&M in 1999, Holdman started 59 games in Chicago (47 at the weakside position). The Bears released him last month before a $2.4 million roster bonus was due to kick in. His best season came in 2001, when he had 107 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

I think moving Lavar back to the strong side spot would be a huge mistake. He hasn't nearly been as effective in that position as he is at the weak side position. I figure that Marcus Washington is still a very fast and effective pass rusher, so he would get strong side and Holdman would end up in the middle.

They quote his best season a couple years ago with 107 tackles and 1.5 sacks ... don't rush him after the qb based on those statistics.

I'm torn on adding Holdman. While I rather have Kevin Mitchell as a backup than starting middle linebacker, I don't want to move Arrington back to strong side. Too bad Barrow wants so much money as signing him would probably be the best move for the team.

Archived