Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The technical side of the LB position.

absltmike

Hello everybody

This is my first post here though I've been a member for quite sometime. I usually just use this board as a means to get information and other people's opinion, but now I have a question of my own.

Why is it that LaVar works best as on weak or strong side LB, but wouldn't as a middle LB? There's still alot I don't know about the science of football and would like to know more.

I'll try to explain. The weak side LB usually has less coverage responsibility and is usually uncovered which will give Lavar more freedom to rush. With Lavar's speed he could wreak havoc on the QB. The strong side LB can rush as well but alot of times he has to cover the TE as well as line up on that side of the defense in front of him. Now that's a blocker that you now have to get by or even cover if he goes out for a pass. To sum it up the weak side has more freedom which would utilize Lavars talent much more.

I hope this helps. When you watch it'll all fall into place.

The biggest difference is that a MLB has to be more comfortable playing in traffic. An OLB is out on the edge of the line and except for the occasional crackback block from a WR, an OLB knows what direction his blocker is coming from.

This is how a MLB reads a play:

Ball is snapped - make instant read, are guards/center firing off the ball (RUN) or are they staying at the line of scrimmage (PASS)

If RUN, then read which way the blockers are going, this is the most instinctual moment in football, you can break it down in slo-mo and point out that you can read the blocking scheme by the angles blockers are taking and shoulders they are using but in real life its a split-second read. Once you make the read you take on your blocker - either an interior lineman or a fullback and try to blow your blocker back into the hole, plugging up the running back. If you can shed your block thats even better, but you can't try to "Ole" or sidestep a block because then a good runningback will cut in the opposite direction and take advantage of the hole you just created by sidestepping the block.

This is why I don't think Arrington is well suited for MLB. He has not shown very good instincts as far as reading and recognition goes and he has trouble taking blockers head on. By playing him on the edge, it is easier for him to take advantage of his athleticism where he can use his speed by running down plays instead of stepping up and filling a hole.

John Madden used to tell his Linebackers to key on the triangle. The center the 2 guards and the rb. If they come, you come, if they go you go. Come meaning a running play, backers step up and stop the run. Go meaning dropping back to pass rush, so the backers drop off to cover.

With Lavar his strength is flying around and covering a lot of ground and solid tackling, exactly what you need on the outside. The Middle backer is typically the biggest strongest backer you have and is right in the mix with the O-line on every play.

Welcome aboard! :applause:

There will be times when lavar will line up at MLB probably in obvious passing situations but he is best suited at OLB especially the weakside which is where he shined at penn state.

And getting a DT/ DE (gardener?) in june that could become a gibbs player should keep the o linemen off of him

Archived