Extremeskins

WP-Gibbs gets in touch with players

Lavarleap56

Gibbs Gets In Touch With Players

Minicamp Is the Start Of Personal Relationships

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, March 29, 2004; Page D01

Joe Gibbs concluded his first Washington Redskins minicamp in 11 years yesterday, giving the Hall of Fame coach a chance to better evaluate his team, and, just as important, a chance to start forging relationships with players.

"It's kind of hard when you've got this many new guys and you've got all new coaches," Gibbs said yesterday after a 90-minute practice.

However, during the three-day minicamp, the 63-year-old Gibbs, who was known for an uncanny ability to connect with players during his first stint with the Redskins, seemed to maintain his personal touch this past weekend and cross any generational gap.

During warm-ups for each practice, Gibbs strolled around the field and visited with players, mixing small talk -- and occasional cackles -- with football instructions and quizzes on plays. During practice Gibbs sometimes played defensive back, giving receivers tips before backpedaling. Players said that Gibbs's personal touches while teaching have helped start building relationships.

"Even as we're stretching," said wide receiver Darnerien McCants, "coach is asking you questions and looking for a response. I like it."

Even before Gibbs's first practice Friday, he faced two combustible issues: quarterback Patrick Ramsey's agent requesting a trade after the Redskins acquired veteran quarterback Mark Brunell, and star linebacker LaVar Arrington -- the team's most popular player -- filing a grievance against the Redskins because of a contract dispute.

So perhaps it was coincidental, but Arrington was one of the first players Gibbs spoke to during warmups Friday. Gibbs also met with Arrington yesterday to discuss his situation with the front office soon after the linebacker made conciliatory public remarks. And Ramsey has said that the main reason he is no longer unhappy about the quarterback situation is because of several discussions with Gibbs, who assured the three-year veteran that there will be an open competition for the position.

Shortly after his introductory news conference on Jan. 8, Gibbs tried to contact players but was unsuccessful because of changed telephone numbers, disconnected phone lines or unreturned calls. Gibbs reached only about 20 percent of the roster -- joking that the job required the CIA -- and decided to wait until minicamp to meet his team. Despite the initial difficulties contacting players, Gibbs said that he doesn't envision experiencing a divide in dealing with today's NFL players.

"I don't think human nature changes," said Gibbs, who after leaving the NFL managed Joe Gibbs Racing, which has had tremendous success on the NASCAR circuit. "Obviously, there's a lot of technical things and there's money issues and there's a salary cap and there's rules and all that changes.

"But I was involved in a team before I came here. I was involved with a racing team. You watch all that, you have all the same problems over there that you have over here, it's amazing. So when you put teams together and you get people together, it seems like the same things crop up, particularly in pro sports."

Thus far, there has been an unusual sense of familiarity between the players and coaching staff, Arrington said yesterday. (The team has nine new players and 13 new assistants.)

"The communication lines are open like we've been around each other for more than a couple days," Arrington said. "It's a good thing."

Entering the team's training facility, the three Super Bowl trophies won under Gibbs glitter in a glass case with a burgundy platform rising more than five feet. A few of Gibbs's assistants -- who were with him previously -- say Gibbs emphasizes that the past doesn't help much now except for relationships and memories.

Indeed, Laveranues Coles -- the Redskins' leading receiver -- revealed that he hardly knew anything about Gibbs and said he had been unaware that Gibbs won three Super Bowls. Coles also admitted he was one of the culprits that had been difficult to reach on the phone.

"I'm one of those guys," Coles, 26, said chuckling. "That's just the way things are nowadays: A lot of professional athletes change their cell numbers."

But Coles said that the onus falls on players -- particularly those acquired before his arrival -- to adjust to Gibbs. "We're not yet his guys so to speak," Coles said. "Right now, everybody has to just try and become one of Gibbs's guys and develop that relationship with him and try to make him happy.

"I'm pretty sure there are things about himself that he's not going to change, and we're just going to have to adapt to that because he's the head coach."

Cornerback Shawn Springs initially thought that he would have to adapt to a gruff personality. But Springs -- who starred at Springbrook High in Silver Spring -- has been pleasantly surprised.

"I used to think that all the old-school coaches were real hard but Coach Gibbs is so nice," Springs said Saturday. "Most of the time, the older coaches, you are intimidated by them and you're afraid to talk to them."

Former Redskin Dexter Manley said he believes Gibbs's new players will bond with their new coach because of his uncanny ability to mix toughness and gentility. Manley credits Gibbs with helping him stay in the NFL until age 32. Manley's NFL career was marred by suspensions for alcohol and drug use. When asked if that meant that Gibbs was sometimes lenient, Manley responded with an incredulous laugh.

"Oh no, no, no," Manley said in a January interview at Lychner State Prison in Texas, where he served a two-year sentence for possession of crack cocaine before being released on March 5. "There was a whole lot Coach didn't let me do. We got into it a few times in his office because of that. His players will grow to love him because he's a special man."

Gibbs said he already knows what the media will emphasize if he can't recapture his NFL glory. Asked two weeks ago whether he was alluding to adjusting to players in the salary cap era, Gibbs responded: "I'm not telling," punctuated by laughter.

Cornerback Fred Smoot played down any differences between today's players and those Gibbs coached before. Smoot also noted the coach's successful racing team.

"He had to teach them to be disciplined and precise, with everybody doing their jobs and not trying to do too much," Smoot said.

"To me, he's been coaching all this time. It's just been a different sport. Once a natural, always a natural. We're ready to follow him."

Originally posted by lavarleap56

Indeed, Laveranues Coles -- the Redskins' leading receiver -- revealed that he hardly knew anything about Gibbs and said he had been unaware that Gibbs won three Super Bowls. Coles also admitted he was one of the culprits that had been difficult to reach on the phone.

"I'm one of those guys," Coles, 26, said chuckling. "That's just the way things are nowadays: A lot of professional athletes change their cell numbers."

But Coles said that the onus falls on players -- particularly those acquired before his arrival -- to adjust to Gibbs. "We're not yet his guys so to speak," Coles said. "Right now, everybody has to just try and become one of Gibbs's guys and develop that relationship with him and try to make him happy.

"I'm pretty sure there are things about himself that he's not going to change, and we're just going to have to adapt to that because he's the head coach."

For some reason I don't forsee any trouble between Coles and Gibbs. I'm happier with that trade every day.

Since 1998, we've had more talent than most teams in the league except when Marty (correctly) got rid of a lot of vets in 2001. We've all discussed this at length, and the fact that our on-field results never seemed to measure up.

I finally feel confident that that talent will finally be reflected in our play.

Just a fluff article, really.

Honestly, there was probably the same kind of gushing article after Spurrier's first minicamp, and Marty's, and Norv's, and every NFL coach's first minicamp with a team.

Minicamp is a time when players "flash" ability, have "untapped" potential, that the coaches "connect" with the players, that they were "competing" out there like its midseason. There has almost certainly never been a minicamp where the press was saying the coaches and players don't "click", that there isn't much talent on the team and little prospects for improvement, or that the team looked unmotivated.

It's just common minicamp storyline stuff. Nothing to get keyed up about.

Alright, I said it. Now, can you believe JOE FREAKIN' GIBBS is back? I'm about to pop, I'm so excited. This team is going to be awesome! :D

Originally posted by redman

Since 1998, we've had more talent than most teams in the league except when Marty (correctly) got rid of a lot of vets in 2001. We've all discussed this at length, and the fact that our on-field results never seemed to measure up.

I finally feel confident that that talent will finally be reflected in our play.

Agreed completely. Whenever I talk to friends about the'Skins, they just rip me apart, saying how we are Yankee wanna-bes with all this $$, and always under-achieving. I tell them how it is going to be different with Gibbs, and they the stupid-a$$ mistakes that were seen with the last coachign staff won't happen with this one...

Until they actually do something on the field, I'll still catch sh!t from everyone, except those in here who know what they're talking about.

SKINS TO THE PLAYOFFS IN '04

Archived