Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington's Contract Demands

Steelers sign Kreider, eye Colts' linebacker Marcus Washington

Thursday, March 04, 2004

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Fullback Dan Kreider, saying there's no place like home, signed a four-year, $4.04 million contract yesterday with the Steelers, who then turned their attention to possibly bigger game.

Marcus Washington, an unrestricted free-agent outside linebacker from the Indianapolis Colts, was scheduled to arrive last night for dinner and a visit with the Steelers today. And linebacker Carlos Emmons, who left them as a free agent in 2000 to sign with Philadelphia, will pay the Steelers a visit over the weekend.

Their interest in Washington and Emmons could forecast their plans for linebacker Jason Gildon.

Like Gildon, Washington (6 feet 3, 247 pounds) is a pass-rushing, starting strongside linebacker. He started the past three season for Indianapolis and, although he's had only 16 sacks during that time, his pass-rushing skills are seen as better suited to the Steelers' 3-4 defense than the Colts' 4-3 because he would not have to cover receivers as often.

Emmons, 30, is an unrestricted free agent after starting for four seasons at outside linebacker for the Eagles. He has other visits schedule with the New York Giants and New Orleans Saints. Emmons (6-5, 250) was drafted by the Steelers in the seventh round in 1996, and he became a starter in 1998.

Gildon, 31, became the Steelers' all-time sack leader last season when his six sacks pushed his career total to 77. There has been sentiment in the organization, however, to release him or ask him to take a steep pay cut. Gildon is scheduled to earn $3.65 million in salary this year.

Washington, 26, wants a signing bonus of more than $5 million and an average of more than $4 million annually. After his visit here, he will travel to Washington to visit the Redskins, who would like to sign him to replace recently released Jesse Armstead. Washington, represented by agent Pat Dye, also is scheduled to visit San Diego Monday.

The Steelers also are arranging visits from four starting cornerbacks for next week: Reggie Howard of Carolina, Fernando Bryant of Jacksonville, David Barrett of Arizona and Fred Thomas of New Orleans. Agent Jim Sexton represents Howard, Bryant and Thomas. All are seeking signing bonuses of at least $3 million. Each is considered average at his position.

The Steelers would like to sign a cornerback who has better coverage ability than they've had recently. Friday, they released Dewayne Washington. Deshea Townsend had replaced Washington as a starter in midseason, and Chad Scott returns as a starter.

After signing Kreider, the Steelers have all their offensive starters under contract, and strong safety Mike Logan remains their only starter still a free agent.

Kreider, who turns 27 a week from today, has been their starting fullback the past three years. He was an undrafted rookie from the University of New Hampshire in 2000 and spent time on their practice squad before he started seven games as a rookie because of an injury to Jon Witman.

"To me, it was a no-brainer," said Kreider, who grew up in Manheim Township in Lancaster County. "It's close to home; it made sense. This is a team that took a chance on me coming out of college and has taken care of me the last four years. It's a team that fits my lifestyle, and I feel has a good future. I'm excited to get back to working and winning a championship with this team."

Kreider received $840,00 to sign with annual salaries of $535,000, $775,000, $940,000 and $950,000.

The deal was struck hours after Kreider's agent, Jon Feinberg, said the fullback would visit other teams and expressed pessimism that a deal would get done with the Steelers.

"We could have tested the market, but Dan chose to stay with Pittsburgh and he's happy, that's what matters," Feinberg said yesterday.

Kreider was the second unrestricted free agent to re-sign with the Steelers on the first day of free agency. Tight end Matt Cushing, who also serves as Kreider's backup at fullback, also came to terms on a one-year contract.

Starting running back Jerome Bettis agreed to a new contract Monday that will pay him $1 million in salary and a roster bonus this year, down from the $4.5 million he was scheduled to earn.

Kreider said Bettis' signing did not influence his decision, but he was happy about it.

"It was definitely good to see him come back," Kreider said. "I felt like we would be back, regardless, it was just a matter of getting a deal that made good sense. But getting him back is great; it shows he's committed to this team and wants to finish his career out here. I enjoy playing with him."

Kreider is used almost exclusively to block. He rushed seven times for 29 yards and caught nine passes for 107 yards last season. He has 22 carries and 34 receptions in four seasons.

A priority for the Steelers next season is to improve on their No. 31 running game, the lowest ranking in their history.

"Some of the circumstances last year dictated how our running game went," Kreider said. "We were behind and had to catch up, and that hurts your running game a little bit. We need to have a running game and, hopefully, we'll be able to establish that next year."

NOTES -- Tight end Mark Bruener, released Friday by the Steelers, will visit Buffalo Tuesday to meet with the man who drafted him No. 1 in 1995 with the Steelers, Bills president Tom Donahoe, and his former tight ends coach and offensive coordinator, Buffalo coach Mike Mularkey. "We have interest in him as a blocking tight end," Donahoe said, "and we're eager to have him in for a visit." ... The Steelers talked to the agents for offensive tackle Todd Wade of Miami, but the unrestricted free agent signed yesterday with Houston, where he received a $10 million signing bonus.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04064/280929.stm

Originally posted by StevieInferior

Like Gildon, Washington (6 feet 3, 247 pounds) is a pass-rushing, starting strongside linebacker. He started the past three season for Indianapolis and, although he's had only 16 sacks during that time, his pass-rushing skills are seen as better suited to the Steelers' 3-4 defense than the Colts' 4-3 because he would not have to cover receivers as often.

Washington, 26, wants a signing bonus of more than $5 million and an average of more than $4 million annually. After his visit here, he will travel to Washington to visit the Redskins, who would like to sign him to replace recently released Jesse Armstead. Washington, represented by agent Pat Dye, also is scheduled to visit San Diego Monday.

Both of these paragraphs make me want to say hell no to this guy.

Archived