Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: 2004 off-season previews: AFC North

bubba9497

2004 off-season previews: AFC North

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2115382

AFC NORTH OFF-SEASON PREVIEW

BALTIMORE RAVENS — 2003 record: 10-6 (1st in AFC North)

2003 season slogan:

Lewis²

2004 preseason slogan:

Boller or Bust

2004 media guide coverboy:

Brian Billick, head coach and resident genius

Positives from 2003:

Getting rookie quarterback Kyle Boller several starts without shattering his confidence nor destroying their playoff bid. That confidence is a huge reason why Brian Billick wasn't afraid to throw Boller to the wolves immediately. Boller struggled as expected, but has a solid foundation to work from heading into mini-camps and ultimately into the 2004 season.

Top needs:

1. MORE OFFENSIVE WEAPONS — The Ravens have gotten to a point where they have a solid foundation in place and now have the ability to pinpoint what needs to be done in taking this team back to the top. That starts with surrounding Boller with more weapons in the passing game. Marcus Robinson emerged as a playmaker down the stretch, but he's a free agent with too many uncertainties despite his production. If Robinson re-signs, they still need another playmaker with good physical skills to lead the passing game. Travis Taylor hasn't shown any consistency and they need to take some pressure off Todd Heap.

2. OFFENSIVE LINE — The Ravens also will be keeping an eye on blockers upfront. At right tackle, Orlando Brown struggled in pass protection and had too many breakdowns on the field. Bennie Anderson didn't grade very well at right guard.

3. CLONE CHRIS MCALISTER — On the defensive side of the ball, the Ravens could bolster their secondary with another athlete.

Overall outlook:

A lot rides on Boller's development and how they address their needs in the passing game. They need at the very least more consistency in this area to complete a strong run game and fierce defense.

CINCINNATI BENGALS — 2003 record: 8-8 (2nd in AFC North)

2003 season slogan:

The Cincinnati Bengals — where 8-8 is reason to celebrate

2004 preseason slogan:

Welcome to the Carson Palmer era

RB Rudi Johnson

Positives from 2003:

Marvin Lewis did the impossible by changing the attitude about the organization and positioning the Bengals as a playoff contender. The development of Rudi Johnson at running back now allows the Bengals to part ways with disgruntled Corey Dillon, and the emergence of Levi Jones and rookie Eric Steinbach has significantly improved the offensive line.

Top needs:

1. DEVELOP TURNOVER HAPPY DEFENSE — Much of the focus will be on defense. Marvin Lewis wants a defense that can get after the quarterback and create turnovers. They will have their eye on finding a blue-chip cover guy to insert the secondary. Lewis also needs more production from his front four. Don't be surprised to see them add more size inside and depth along the perimeter. At linebacker, Kevin Hardy will move back outside. Brian Simmons could shift over to the middle because Lewis is intrigued with his speed and instincts, but they might look to see what's available on the market.

2. HOLES ON O-LINE — On offense, the most likely area that will be addressed is the interior line — particularly at right guard and/or center.

3. DEPTH AT RB — They also will add some depth at running back with someone who can contribute in the passing game. Backup scatback Skip Hicks was already added to the mix here.

Overall outlook:

The Bengals will be a year older and more mature after their playoff run. I believe the Bengals are in good position for a playoff run unless they have trouble adjusting to that role heading into the season. The quarterback situation is also worth watching between Jon Kitna and Carson Palmer. Indications are that Marvin Lewis would like to see Palmer take the job.

CLEVELAND BROWNS — 2003 record: 5-11 (4th in AFC North)

2003 season slogan:

At least we didn't move

2004 preseason slogan:

Don't miss your last chance to watch Tim Couch and the Browns

(Insert first round draft pick here)

Positives from 2003:

Not much was positive frankly. But Dave Campo did put together a respectable defense following Butch Davis' transition to youth at linebacker.

Top needs:

1. BLOCKING — Butch Davis hasn't caught many breaks with personnel decisions so there are lots of holes and question marks. Expect the Browns to make a major push to significantly upgrade the left tackle spot. They could also add a power guard in the run game, but I would re-sign Shaun O'Hara as one starter. With Terry Robiskie taking over the offense, they will need a lead blocker at fullback. I also feel a blocking tight end would be a solid addition to the ground game.

2. PASSING GAME — Expect the quarterback position to be addressed in some form. Tim Couch will likely be at the reins heading into the season, but I have doubts whether he'll ever make it work in Cleveland. The Browns do have a tough decision at wide receiver with free agent Dennis Northcutt. Northcutt clearly brings spark to the offense out of the slot, but they can't overpay him.

3. IMPACT ATHLETE ON DEFENSE — On defense, the Browns aren't getting enough production along the front four, but I won't be surprised if they focus on other areas ahead of this problem. I also feel they need a playmaker added in the secondary. They need to upgrade inside at safety. Robert Griffith should be cut because he's too erratic in run support. Earl Little is adequate at free safety, but would be best-suited to be an extra defender on passing downs. I believe the Browns must make an effort to make sure they add more leadership within these objectives.

Overall outlook:

The future is cloudy. Butch Davis has the right philosophy on building a championship team, but has made some very shaky personnel decisions. I don't feel they can turn it around completely in a single off-season.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS — 2003 record: 6-10 (3rd in AFC North)

2003 season slogan:

Thanks for the memories, Jerome

2004 preseason slogan:

We swear, someone will play running back

WRs Hines Ward & Plaxico Burress

Positives from 2003:

It was a tough season in Cowher Country, but the emergence of Deshea Townsend as a starting cornerback and the rapid development of rookie corner Ivan Taylor were pluses.

1. REPLACE BETTIS, ZEROUAE AT RB — Expect the most upgrades on offense. The top priority has to be finding a power runner who also possesses some versatility. I believe they need to turn the page here and start fresh. But they must re-sign Dan Kreider at fullback.

2. O-LINE ISSUES — Also expect them to upgrade at right tackle where Oliver Ross was too inconsistent. They may also seek some insurance at center where Jeff Hartings figures to eventually have his career cut short due to knee problems.

3. BULK ON DEFENSE — On defense, expect them to aggressive focus on adding a blue-chip cornerback with size. At linebacker, I believe they should re-sign Clark Haggans and cut Jason Gildon on the strong side.

Overall outlook:

If the Steelers can find a young franchise runner, don't be surprised to see the Steelers bounce back next season. But they must avoid injuries. The Steelers are also keeping an eye on the top prospects available at quarterback as they don't view Tommy Maddox as a long-term solution.

Archived