Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportscentury: 4-6 Defense

Charlie Murphaaay

Did anyone else catch the Sportscentury: 4-6 Defense, it was fascinating.

They went over the kind of personell needed to run it which basically entailed at least 3 lineman who could penetrate and get pressure on the passer and the run game. 3 Linebackers with speed who could play the pass. 2 corners who could cover on an island most of the time. The safety position and it's requirements weren't outlined.

The funny thing is that great coaches like Gibbs and Bill Walsh extremely impressed by the 4-6 and how it was run by Buddy Ryan, who was the catalyst (like many of you don't know this already). Ryan said he needed tough, smart players because you'd lose with dumb players and you couldn't win with cowards.

Bill Walsh said it was the most revolutionary style of defense he'd seen in football the last 20 years and how many problems it caused for defenses. The line of scrimmage would be stacked, then all of a sudden different players would drop into coverage confusing the QB, lineman and coaches alike.

Mike Singletary commented on how he got his first start and gathered his family down to Miami to see him play. On the first series of the game, Miami went into the no huddle. A young, confused Singletary called a timeout. Buddy Ryan benched him for the rest of the game because he wasted a timeout. Singletary said it was the single most embarrasing moment of his career.

(Wish we had somebody here before Lewis who could do this with Lavar).

Does anyone have any comments on how Greg Williams will or if he will implement the 4-6. He must have picked up quite a bit of info from Fisher who played for Buddy Ryan in Chicago, and has used variations of the 4-6 in Tennessee.

If you didn't catch the SC i'm writing about, I hope you can in the future....

hey Rellim...The funny thing about all of this....Is that the Ravens were supposed to be considered the greatest defense ever...

Not I saw both the Ravens and the 85 Bears...

And let me tell everyone here...The 85 bears is the single most feared and all-time best defense I ever saw....

Only once did I see them and their defense get exploited(which in fact became the answer to many teams to defeat it)

And that was the Monday night game against the dolphins when Marino had a career game....The Bears only loss that season...

IMO...They were the closest than any team ever got to going undefeated throughout the season....(72' Dolphins)

You want to know the scary part about it was.............???

I thought their offense wasn't to shabby either and their special teams....MUCH better than the Ravens offense with dilfer.....

Well....Think about it....They had Walter payton(hall of fame)....Dennis Gentry,Dave Duerson(s),that good TE (memory?)steve McMichael,the Fridge,Richard Dent(was up for hall of fame this year),Wilbur,singletary,(hall of fame),Dan Hampton(HOF),mark Carrier,they had a couple of great O-lineman....and of course "headband" jim McMahan...

They have like 5 hall of famers off that team alone....maybe more....?

Let me just say this...?If our defense is half as good as they were.....We will be playing in superbowl 39.....!!

Oh......And if your wondering why I know that much about the bears....?

It's because when Tecmo Bowl originally came out on the nintendo version....I tried using the skins,but the plays were hard to run...(couldn't change them)1 was a reverse that never worked(which will bring up another point here in a second).....I tried but had to compete with my brother and friend...Giants and the raiders....

Can you say "the bavaro curl" which could not be stopped.......And the raiders which had BO jackson which should be all I have to say about that....as well as Marcus...!It was nuts!

GOD.......The good ole days....!Boy do I miss them!!

and about my point I was going to make earlier about the reverse.....Didn't gibbs run reverses with sanders and clark quite often....?

I was very young so someone may have to clarify me if I'm wrong....IN 83' I was 10 years old...Hard to remember...?

I thought I remember sanders running a bunch of reverses or maybe it was clark.....And of course Monk catching everything thrown his direction...

Another note...I swear .....I don't think I ever saw monk drop the ball.....Can anyone clarify this as well...?I'm serious..!!

I remember watching skins games with my brother(giants fan) and he said"Man that monk is really something".....Were watching a hall of famer michael"....

Originally posted by michael_33

And let me tell everyone here...The 85 bears is the single most feared and all-time best defense I ever saw....

Only once did I see them and their defense get exploited(which in fact became the answer to many teams to defeat it)

And that was the Monday night game against the dolphins when Marino had a career game....The Bears only loss that season...

IMO...They were the closest than any team ever got to going undefeated throughout the season....(72' Dolphins)

The 1985 Bear defense was great but it was nothing new. It dates from way back in pro football, but no one had used it until Buddy Ryan brought it back. It was mainly great because they had great players suited for that defense and no one had seen it in use in many years. Its like the Cover 2 defense is very popular now since Tampa Bay won a SB with it, but it too is nothing new.

A couple of years later the 46 defense was just ordinary and out of vogue, when they started losing players to injuries, retirements and whatever. Wilbur Marshall subsequently signed with the Redskins and helped us win a Super Bowl. The 46 defense could be exploited very easily by a GOOD TEAM with a good offensive line, when the Bears didn't have good man-to-man cornerback play. If the blitzers don't get to the QB in time, the cornerbacks get burned.

This is what happened in the 1986 playoffs when Joe Gibbs upset the mighty Bears 27-13 in Chicago, with a team that did not have the personnel of the Bears at that time.

The Bears were the defending Super Bowl champions, having gone 18-1 the previous year and had won 32 of their last 35 games.

The Redskins under Gibbs went into Chicago all beat up as injured underdogs in the playoffs, openly stating that they hoped the Bears would blitz them. And when they did, Jay Schroeder and Art Monk burned the crap out of them with the long ball. Darrell Green finally put the game away when he returned a punt for a TD.

So as the old saying goes..... you really win with good players and coaching......... not just with formations.

Buddy was the engine that made it run along with the players they had who were well suited for the 4-6.

Buddy ran some variations of the 4-6 when he left the year after the Bears won the Superbowl and he had good defenses with the Eagles, though he never made the playoffs for numerous reasons.

The players stated that once Ryan left it wasn't the same the defense nor the same kind of comradery between the coaches and players. Most of those defensive players loved Ryan and treated him as though he was the head coach. To some he was a father like figure. When he anounced he was leaving to coach the Eagles, his defensive players basically destroyed the meeting room out of anger.One thing I didn't realize at the time was how much Ryan and Ditka didn't get along. Buddy hardly got along with anyone though. :gus:

Funny that Joe Theisman mentioned a few plays, one of which Joe Washington was hammered trying to catch the ball over the middle and an old WR of his who dropped the ball to avoid being hit. It wasn't just the 4-6, it was the attitude of the players behind it also. That attitude was molded by Ryan. I think if you can use it effectively in spots, even in today's game, with the right personnel.

Inmate, the year the Skins went into Chitown and beat the Bears it was a great accomplishment, but the defense wasn't the same as it was the previous year. There was a different defensive coordinator, which mean a lot in this case, and the 4-6 was hardly used in Chicago when Ryan left for Philly. It's obvious that you do win with great players, but systems can help make good players appear great.

Michael_33,

I was a Tecmo addict back in the day. It was my favorite game, then when Tecmo 2 came out it was crazy also. Spent hour after hour playing those games, so I remember their squad a little.

Don't forget their deep threat/model....Willie Gault.

Darrell Green finally put the game away when he returned a punt for a TD.

This play actually happened the following year when we upset the Bears at Soldier Field...the year we won the Super Bowl.

In 1986, it was a bigger shock and a more dominating effort...but then we lost to the Giants.

In 1987, we fell behind 14-0 then rallied to come back and win...we took the lead on DG's return.

Archived