Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Tom Coughlin hired four more assistants- Kevin Gilbrid

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1719300

Moving closer to the completion of his staff, New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin on Monday hired four more assistants, including longtime NFL offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, who will serve as the team's quarterbacks coach.

Gilbride, 52, will be working under Coughlin for the second time, having been offensive coordinator for him with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1995-96). Gilbride, who recently was a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Cornell University, has been a coordinator in 11 of his previous 14 seasons in the NFL and was the San Diego Chargers' head coach in 1997 and part of 1998, compiling a 6-16 record.

"Kevin is a smart, articulate person, and he works extremely well with quarterbacks," said Coughlin, whose Jacksonville offense, under Gilbride's leadership, ranked second in the NFL in just the second season of the team's existence. "He is a determined and strong personality, who really excels in game planning and on game day."

For the last two seasons, Gilbride was the offensive coordinator in Buffalo, but he was not retained when the Bills fired head coach Gregg Williams.

Gilbride broke into the NFL as the quarterbacks coach for the Houston Oilers in 1989 and was promoted to offensive coordinator the following season.

Other assistants announced by Coughlin on Monday are tight ends coach Pat Flaherty, and quality control aides Dave DeGuglielmo (offense) and David Merritt (defense).

Flaherty, 47, coached previously in the league with the Chicago Bears (2001-03) and the Washington Redskins (2000).

Merritt was a defensive assistant on the New York Jets' staff for the last three seasons, and DeGuglielmo has a considerable résumé in the college ranks, including a stint as a graduate assistant for Coughlin at Boston College.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Whenever I hear Gilbride's name, I always think of that shot on the sidelines of Buddy Ryan lunging for and punching him. A true NFL classic. :laugh:

Seriously, Gilbride seems to bounce from one spot to another, and, by year 2-3 of his tenure, people want to run him out of town. I completely forgot about his head coaching tenure. At 6-16, I suppose it was imminently forgettable. :laugh:

For a guy who's never out of work, he really sucks. He runs by most accounts the most complex and least understandable offensive system in the league. The only QB's to have run it successfully have been Warren Moon, a Hof caliber QB, and Mark Brunell, by all accounts one of the smartest QB's around. He pretty much sets the standard for journeyman coordinators.

Archived