Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Expansion

Hogwash

Does anyone remember hearing about the Glaser family buying the LA Dodgers and proposing to sell the Buccaneers to the NFL under the condition that they are granted an LA Franchise?

Will there ever be another LA Franchise? If so, what city would get the other expansion team, after all, you can't have an odd number of teams.

I remember reading somewhere that El Paso, TX is the largest city without a pro sports franchise. But Texas has 2 NFL teams allready.

I think Oklahoma City would be a good place to have an NFL team.

Let's hear what you think.

Well you know the Raiders aren't going back. Arizona would be a logical choice if cheapskate Bidwell could break his contracts. Both the Colts and Minnesota have made rumbling noises to their respective communities. Haven't the Saints also hinted at moving to gain funding assistance? It appears that there is a potential list of future candidates. Business is business and fans really don't count...look at what they did to poor Cleveland. I'm cynical. I still haven't forgiven MLB for taking the Senators. More than likely LA will have a team at the expense of some poor city.

Ironically, Washington owns its own stadium (there are some hooks with the local road commitments) and would probably be the easiest team to move logistically. But with their market and fan support, that event would have to coincide with that famed cold-day-in-Hell.

I live in Los Angeles... there appear to be more Ravens out here than Cardinals, at least flying around the city. Although someone was killed by a moutain lion recently, so the panthers could be a choice. If we do expand, a good name for a team in Los Angeles could be the Los Angeles Migrants or maybe the Los Angeles Liberals. If you really want give them cool name, I suggest the Los Angeles Rioteers.

There would be no expansion team, IMHO. Current alignment is perfect in every way.

I also think that LA will most likely to have a team in the near future. NFL wouldn't let that market slip away. The Saints would be my first guess to move there.

If LA gets a team in the near future, it will be the Chargers moving from SD. There are articles in the newspaper in SD about every week or so about the possibility. Many fans are fed up with the Chargers and there is a lot of politics going on between the team and the city that may precipitate the move in the next few years.

I know expansion into Canada (specifically Toronto) would never happen, but it would be really cool. The NFL is huge in Canada and would absolutely flourish. Preseason games held in Toronto years ago always drew huge crowds (Bills vs. Packers, Patriots vs. Browns). I firmly believe that the existence of the CFL, and the threat which the NFL poses to its survival (particularly the Toronto Argos) has always been the reason holding back the NFL's entrance into Canada. Toronto would welcome the league with open arms.

Archived