Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making the Scene at a Hot Spot on a Cold Night

harryskin

Making the Scene at a Hot Spot on a Cold Night

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25700-2004Jan17.html

Levy Weighs In

A week into Joe Gibbs Era II, several questions keep nagging at me, as well as Gibbs himself. One is what effect 11 years away from the game will have as he attempts to return the Redskins to respectability and contention in the NFL.

For one man's opinion, I called Hall of Famer Marv Levy, whom I've known since he was a special teams coach here under George Allen.

"Dick Vermeil proved you can come back after being out of the league for a while," said Levy, 78. "I'm impressed with Joe's moves so far, but that doesn't surprise me. Joe Gibbs is smart, bright and motivated. It will take a lot of hard work to get caught up with what's happened in the league. But he has the background; he knows his first priority is hiring a good staff. He'll figure out the game decisions."

What about relating to players after you've been away?

"You have to change with the times," Levy said. "But don't try to be one of the them [players]. That doesn't work. Joe will find there is a generation gap. With me, it was a two-generation gap."

Meantime, my smart colleague, Sally Jenkins, tackled another question Friday when she declared Gibbs's hiring generally moot until Dan Snyder replaces himself and personnel boss Vinny Cerrato with a general manager with the clout and reputation of a Bobby Beathard.

But Snyder does not believe in having a GM between him and his coach and has said he thinks Cerrato and his staff did their jobs well last year providing Steve Spurrier coveted free agents such as wide receiver Laveranues Coles, place kicker John Hall, kick returner Chad Morton, running back Trung Canidate, defensive tackle Brandon Noble (injured) and guards Randy Thomas and Dave Fiore. The high pick last year of wide receiver Taylor Jacobs, a flop in his rookie season, was a Spurrier choice, management claims.

If Gibbs isn't happy with this arrangement, he knows now is the time to raise his hand. While Joe Gibbs may not own the team, he should know at this moment he, not Snyder, is the team. Everyone in the organization, including Snyder, is going to do whatever it takes to make Gibbs happy and successful, including revamping the department of player acquisition, if Gibbs wants.

No SH*T SHERLOCK!?!?!?!?!?!? (no offense there Harry, but who is this?)

:yawn: Ahhh, easy there BG it's the offseason and I think I can speak for the rest'o the Skins fans that we are all dying for more press............:laugh:

This reminds me...

Have any of you guys seen "Coaches Speak" (I think it's called that) on NFL Total Access (NFL network)? It's with Levy and Ditka. I swear everytime I watch it, I'm afraid these guys are gonna keel over right there on the set. They look soooo old. I plea with my tv, "Don't get too excited guys. No one really wants to give either of you mouth to mouth!"

Archived