Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A lot of people want to trade down but ....

jbooma

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

My hunch is that the only reason he's getting this attention is because of his name. If his name was Bob Allendorf, would we be having this conversation?

The other thing that makes me suspicious is people forget that the game has changed since Kellen Winslow Sr., because of Kellen Winslow Sr. It's now far more common for pass-catching TEs to emerge, following the path cut by KW Sr. This makes me suspect that even if Kellen Winslow Jr. were every bit as good as his father (which I doubt), his potential impact would be far less. Defenses are bigger, stronger and faster -- and there are more TEs with good skills out there. The 2002 draft class, for example, was loaded with top TE prospects.

Finally, there are supposedly character issues with Winslow Jr. I'm willing to tolerate character issues for a player who's truly elite, but I'm not convinced Winslow is at that level. So I'd pass.

This is not to say Winslow can't have an outstanding NFL career. I just think he's less likely to have as much impact as Taylor is: it's a question of probability.

As an Ohio State fan and genuine hater of Corporal Winslow, I'll be the first to admit that the boys got talent. I would not take him with the 5th pick though. Some of you are forgetting how much we will have to pay any player taken at the #5 spot. If we can trade down 3 or 4 spots, pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder(or higher if we can start a bidding war) there will still be attractive players on the board and they will be cheaper.

Remember who we had there--Didier, Warren, Orr, Middleton. They were used to compliment the passing game.

Walter Rasby might be a Middleton clone. And he's a free agent.

That's the kind of Te I expect to see get picked up.

Great blocker, okay hands, cheap cost.

Archived