Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: No average Joe: Redskins will get out of pits

bubba9497

No average Joe: Redskins will get out of pits

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/columnists/tcowlishaw/stories/010804dnspocowlishaw.187ef.html

Two years ago, I told you that the Cowboys were in trouble, that Redskins owner Dan Snyder had gotten serious by hiring Steve Spurrier as his head coach.

Like Bob Arum, you've got to trust me. Back then, I was lying. Today, I'm telling the truth.

The Cowboys are in trouble because Dan Snyder got it right, for real this time. Joe Gibbs is back.

Bill Parcells now has a coach who is his equal in the NFC East. Not only that, with the Eagles' Andy Reid one victory shy of his third straight NFC title game and with the Giants hiring a proven coach in Tom Coughlin, the NFC East is again the penthouse for NFL coaches.

Everyone in Washington has to be celebrating today, except possibly Gibbs. Why the lateral move, Joe?

He's trading in Bobby Labonte and Tony Stewart for Tim Hasselbeck and Rock Cartwright. Good luck with that.

But Gibbs won't need much luck. His track record is what it is.

His 16-5 playoff record easily beats Parcells' 11-7. You look around to identify the top five coaches of the last 20 years, and you get Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Gibbs and either Mike Shanahan (two Super Bowl wins) or Marv Levy (four AFC titles).

Parcells taking four different teams to the playoffs is impressive and unprecedented. It also means the man doesn't plant roots.

Johnson's turnaround in Dallas was the most improbable achievement of all. Walsh won three Super Bowls and, apparently, invented offensive football.

But Gibbs stands just maybe a notch above this elite field for two reasons. While Walsh's run of Super Bowl victories in the 1980s is impressive, all of those titles came with Hall of Famer Joe Montana running the show.

Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Joe Theismann at quarterback, with Doug Williams at quarterback and with Mark Rypien at quarterback. None are bound for the Hall of Fame.

The other factor to consider (I'm serious here) is Gibbs' success in NASCAR. How many people in their 50scan go into a completely different field, start a business from the ground up and in less than a decade establish themselves as the best in the game?

When Dale Jarrett, Gibbs' first driver, left him in 1996, Gibbs hired Labonte, inexperienced at the Winston Cup level. Labonte won the championship in 2000. In 1999, Gibbs added rookie Tony Stewart to his garage. Stewart won the championship in 2002.

What's this have to do with the Redskins? Maybe everything.

Success in the NFL is more than football X's and O's. It's understanding how to win and what it takes to win. Spurrier knows X's and O's on offense like nobody else. He didn't get the NFL game.

Gibbs coached in the pre-salary cap era. He coached in the pre-free agency era. There will be adjustments, to be sure. But will those adjustments be anything compared to trading in a life of football for stock cars?

Gibbs' NFL success came at a time when he didn't have to worry about losing top players to other teams. But again he won those titles with different quarterbacks. Playing the free-agency game won't be the major shock for him that it has been for some.

"I said when he retired that Joe was the best coach I'd ever faced," Parcells said Wednesday.

The Redskins have as many talented players on their defense as the Cowboys. Their offense, like the Cowboys, is something of a work in progress.

Washington didn't catch up with Dallas overnight. But Gibbs restores stability to the Redskins, and with that will come success. A great rivalry that has been on hold for about a decade, with one team or the other spinning its wheels, got some new life.

The Redskins' bandwagon just took on four new tires and a couple of cans of high octane. Snyder finally got out of the pits.

No average Joe: Redskins will get out of pits

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/columnists/tcowlishaw/stories/010804dnspocowlishaw.187ef.html

Two years ago, I told you that the Cowboys were in trouble, that Redskins owner Dan Snyder had gotten serious by hiring Steve Spurrier as his head coach.

Like Bob Arum, you've got to trust me. Back then, I was lying. Today, I'm telling the truth.

The Cowboys are in trouble because Dan Snyder got it right, for real this time. Joe Gibbs is back.

Bill Parcells now has a coach who is his equal in the NFC East. Not only that, with the Eagles' Andy Reid one victory shy of his third straight NFC title game and with the Giants hiring a proven coach in Tom Coughlin, the NFC East is again the penthouse for NFL coaches.

Everyone in Washington has to be celebrating today, except possibly Gibbs. Why the lateral move, Joe?

He's trading in Bobby Labonte and Tony Stewart for Tim Hasselbeck and Rock Cartwright. Good luck with that.

But Gibbs won't need much luck. His track record is what it is.

His 16-5 playoff record easily beats Parcells' 11-7. You look around to identify the top five coaches of the last 20 years, and you get Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Gibbs and either Mike Shanahan (two Super Bowl wins) or Marv Levy (four AFC titles).

Parcells taking four different teams to the playoffs is impressive and unprecedented. It also means the man doesn't plant roots.

Johnson's turnaround in Dallas was the most improbable achievement of all. Walsh won three Super Bowls and, apparently, invented offensive football.

But Gibbs stands just maybe a notch above this elite field for two reasons. While Walsh's run of Super Bowl victories in the 1980s is impressive, all of those titles came with Hall of Famer Joe Montana running the show.

Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Joe Theismann at quarterback, with Doug Williams at quarterback and with Mark Rypien at quarterback. None are bound for the Hall of Fame.

The other factor to consider (I'm serious here) is Gibbs' success in NASCAR. How many people in their 50scan go into a completely different field, start a business from the ground up and in less than a decade establish themselves as the best in the game?

When Dale Jarrett, Gibbs' first driver, left him in 1996, Gibbs hired Labonte, inexperienced at the Winston Cup level. Labonte won the championship in 2000. In 1999, Gibbs added rookie Tony Stewart to his garage. Stewart won the championship in 2002.

What's this have to do with the Redskins? Maybe everything.

Success in the NFL is more than football X's and O's. It's understanding how to win and what it takes to win. Spurrier knows X's and O's on offense like nobody else. He didn't get the NFL game.

Gibbs coached in the pre-salary cap era. He coached in the pre-free agency era. There will be adjustments, to be sure. But will those adjustments be anything compared to trading in a life of football for stock cars?

Gibbs' NFL success came at a time when he didn't have to worry about losing top players to other teams. But again he won those titles with different quarterbacks. Playing the free-agency game won't be the major shock for him that it has been for some.

"I said when he retired that Joe was the best coach I'd ever faced," Parcells said Wednesday.

The Redskins have as many talented players on their defense as the Cowboys. Their offense, like the Cowboys, is something of a work in progress.

Washington didn't catch up with Dallas overnight. But Gibbs restores stability to the Redskins, and with that will come success. A great rivalry that has been on hold for about a decade, with one team or the other spinning its wheels, got some new life.

The Redskins' bandwagon just took on four new tires and a couple of cans of high octane. Snyder finally got out of the pits.

Luksa: 'A fantastic coach'

03:19 PM CST on Wednesday, January 7, 2004

I am shocked that Joe Gibbs has decided to return. And I don't consider it great news for Cowboys fans. He is a fantastic coach. He is as good as any who have come through the NFC East. He will get that ship back afloat in a hurry. With the salary cap, he will find himself constrained more than he can remember when he left the league. And it's possible that he could turn out like Jimmy Johnson when he returned to the league with Miami and didn't have the same success he had in Dallas. He may not quite duplicate the success he had during his prior stint in Washington. But I can't think of a better hire Danny Snyder could have made to create excitement and please a fan base that has to be in almost semi-revolt.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/moresports/stories/010804dnspoluksatake.11c25ed02.html

Luksa: 'A fantastic coach'

03:19 PM CST on Wednesday, January 7, 2004

I am shocked that Joe Gibbs has decided to return. And I don't consider it great news for Cowboys fans. He is a fantastic coach. He is as good as any who have come through the NFC East. He will get that ship back afloat in a hurry. With the salary cap, he will find himself constrained more than he can remember when he left the league. And it's possible that he could turn out like Jimmy Johnson when he returned to the league with Miami and didn't have the same success he had in Dallas. He may not quite duplicate the success he had during his prior stint in Washington. But I can't think of a better hire Danny Snyder could have made to create excitement and please a fan base that has to be in almost semi-revolt.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/moresports/stories/010804dnspoluksatake.11c25ed02.html

I can't believe he actually put Shanahan in that group. That is utterly preposterous. Why not Seifert?

The fact is that Shanahan has not won a playoff game in 5 years, getting absolutely pounded in his only two appearances.

The most overrated person, players or coaches, in the NFL.

I can't believe he actually put Shanahan in that group. That is utterly preposterous. Why not Seifert?

The fact is that Shanahan has not won a playoff game in 5 years, getting absolutely pounded in his only two appearances.

The most overrated person, players or coaches, in the NFL.

Archived