Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.COM: Levy: Gibbs' return provides inspiration

bubba9497

Gibbs' return provides inspiration

By Marv Levy

Special to NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6987425

(Jan. 7, 2004) -- I was a little surprised when I heard about Joe Gibbs returning to the Redskins, but only because I thought he really had moved away and was immersed in his NASCAR team. But the desire is deep seeded, believe me. I know him; he's a superb coach. I think the Redskins went out and found a guy they knew could coach and stopped looking for one they hoped could coach.

Granted, they may have thought that two years ago when they hired Steve Spurrier. Spurrier had good qualifications to coach, but they probably felt that they had to go with an experienced pro coach this time. Each person is different -- whether the coach is older or younger, you feel better if you know the guy has experienced success. That way, there aren't as many questions in your mind. That's what Joe represented.

There are some things about Joe that have really made an impression on me. He appears to be superbly well organized and he selects wonderful staffers. He has a knack for putting together a great staff and he adds that to his own acumen, which is quite a plus. And I like the fact that he's had a winning background. Joe's a very dedicated coach; he's not an "all foam and no beer" kind of guy -- there's some substance there.

I once tried to hire Joe as an offensive line coach when I was the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. San Diego one-upped me by hiring him to be their offensive coordinator instead. He was just a budding coach at the time, but a few years later, the Redskins made him their head coach (the first time).

I can really understand Joe's decision to return to the sidelines. Much refreshed from what it was when I finally felt I wanted to step away after a long coaching career, I too would like an opportunity to come back.

I had gone through a year where there were devastating injuries to the Bills. Chris Spielman's career ended with a neck injury; Damien Covington, a young kid and a fine linebacker prospect, injured his knee so badly he could never walk correctly again. These injuries were adding up and I just felt that I had done this long enough and needed a break.

But what I realized later was that I was looking for a sabbatical, and not one that lasted this long. I want to coach again. Have I been contacted or interviewed? I've talked to people but I feel it's inappropriate to divulge that at this point.

I've dwelled on this before, but the success of returning coaches like Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells, and now Joe Gibbs, and even in baseball with Marlins manager Jack McKeon, is maybe showing that the age barrier for coaches is finally breaking down. I hope so.

Gibbs' return provides inspiration

By Marv Levy

Special to NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6987425

(Jan. 7, 2004) -- I was a little surprised when I heard about Joe Gibbs returning to the Redskins, but only because I thought he really had moved away and was immersed in his NASCAR team. But the desire is deep seeded, believe me. I know him; he's a superb coach. I think the Redskins went out and found a guy they knew could coach and stopped looking for one they hoped could coach.

Granted, they may have thought that two years ago when they hired Steve Spurrier. Spurrier had good qualifications to coach, but they probably felt that they had to go with an experienced pro coach this time. Each person is different -- whether the coach is older or younger, you feel better if you know the guy has experienced success. That way, there aren't as many questions in your mind. That's what Joe represented.

There are some things about Joe that have really made an impression on me. He appears to be superbly well organized and he selects wonderful staffers. He has a knack for putting together a great staff and he adds that to his own acumen, which is quite a plus. And I like the fact that he's had a winning background. Joe's a very dedicated coach; he's not an "all foam and no beer" kind of guy -- there's some substance there.

I once tried to hire Joe as an offensive line coach when I was the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. San Diego one-upped me by hiring him to be their offensive coordinator instead. He was just a budding coach at the time, but a few years later, the Redskins made him their head coach (the first time).

I can really understand Joe's decision to return to the sidelines. Much refreshed from what it was when I finally felt I wanted to step away after a long coaching career, I too would like an opportunity to come back.

I had gone through a year where there were devastating injuries to the Bills. Chris Spielman's career ended with a neck injury; Damien Covington, a young kid and a fine linebacker prospect, injured his knee so badly he could never walk correctly again. These injuries were adding up and I just felt that I had done this long enough and needed a break.

But what I realized later was that I was looking for a sabbatical, and not one that lasted this long. I want to coach again. Have I been contacted or interviewed? I've talked to people but I feel it's inappropriate to divulge that at this point.

I've dwelled on this before, but the success of returning coaches like Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells, and now Joe Gibbs, and even in baseball with Marlins manager Jack McKeon, is maybe showing that the age barrier for coaches is finally breaking down. I hope so.

When I fisrt heard he was looking to coach again and the rumor came out that he contacted Chicago and Washington...I was all for it.

But after seeing him on Total Access tonight...he looks old. I just don't see him getting a shot all though he probably deserves it.

When I fisrt heard he was looking to coach again and the rumor came out that he contacted Chicago and Washington...I was all for it.

But after seeing him on Total Access tonight...he looks old. I just don't see him getting a shot all though he probably deserves it.

Archived