Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT : Carlisle

wildbill

Me and the family are trying to plan a vacation sometime this summer to visit the homeland. Most trips usually consist of visiting family that we haven't seen in a while, and sinse my family lives in Jersey and hers in Texas,most of the time it seems like all we do is travel and never really get a chance to relax.Throw in two children that are both under three and traveling can be a royal pain in the a$$.

Lately I've brought up the idea of going to Carlisle for the skins training camp instead of doing all the traveling.I think I've pretty much sold her on that idea,however, she needs some other info to completely seal the deal.Her point of view is traveling from here is quite expensive, and while seeing the skins would be somewhat exciting, she would want to come away from her vacation having done a little more than just get a few autographs.

My question is, for those who have made the trip a few times,What else is there in the area that would help convince my wife into making the trip?Is there things for kids and families to do within say, 100 miles that would help me convince her? Any help would be appreciated, this is something that I've always wanted to do, but something else always seems to come up.

It depends on what sort of stuff you like to do. There's some good antique shopping in the area. Harrisburg is very close (25-30 mi.).

Carlisle itself is a pretty little college town - there are some specialty shops and suchlike. But the draw is definitely the Redskins.

I hope to make it back up there for a day or so at camp. Hope to see you there.

Gettysburg is right there, too. Be an outstanding day trip if you and the Mrs. are into our national history ... and the little ones can appreciate the opportunity to stand in reverent silence and stare at some big fields. smile.gif

I'll definitely be up for a day or two. Be outstanding to get with some of you guys for a cold one.

Or three.

You can tour the Battlefield in Gettysburg, There is a small "game park" like a small zoo in Gettysburg but it is not that great. Also the land of minitature horses is cool for the kids

Hershey PArk is fairly close, I believe Williams Grove is up near Carlisle but it a small older park but my daughter loves it.

If you want to include Hershey you will need atleast a day there.

I will be at camp, I hope 3-4 days a week if not more if I can.

Mick I think Intercourse is close to a town called Middlesex.

Hail SKins

Philly isn't quite under your 100 mile limit but it's close .. might be a fun place to visit. Other than that I was going to see Gettysburg which has already been said. If you go there make sure you get a guide .. they know what they're talking about and can really paint the picture as to how everything was.

------------------

The Redskins HQ Forum

RedskinsHQ.com

I live in Hershey, and I can get to Carlisle in around 40 minutes down I81.

Hershey has the park - roller coasters, all kinds of other rides and amusements, and water rides that are perfect for kids on hot days. There is a Zoo America in Hershey, and there is Chocolate World - a simulated tour of the Hershey factory and manufacturing process set up as a ride, and also containing restaurants, a discount shop, trolley rides, and other stuff. Hershey usually has other stuff going on at that time of year, such as a balloon festival (dozens of hot air balloons), or one of the biggest car shows on the east coast.

The oddly named towns mentioned above (Blue Ball, Bird In Hand, and Intercourse) are in the Amish community, and that's big here in central PA. They live a traditional lifestyle, no electricity, no cars, no frivolity, drive around in horse and buggies, and live in some of the prettiest farm country you'll ever want to see. You can tour some farms that are set up for visitors, eat at Amish restaurants where they load you up with comfort food, buy Amish produced goods.

There are country markets and antique stores up the wazoo around here. If you wife is into that then it's a good part of the country to be in.

Also in that area is Strasburg, with a working railway line featuring real steam locomotives and trains. You can ride the trains on tours through the countryside, and it's a blast for kids.

Gettysburg has been mentioned, although it might tough with young kids. But if you want get a real lump in your throat as you consider the events of those few days there, a stroll of that battlefield on a quiet morning is a powerful emotional experience.

Some folks have mentioned Philly, but Baltimore is closer, and I think much better suited to family fun. You could get there in the morning (1.5 hour drive) and spend a night or two, giving you plenty of time to check out the magnificent Inner Harbor, Fell's Point, the Aquarium, The USS Constellation, a kid's playing zone called the Exploratorium (I think that's the name - it's ideal for small kids), the Italian area, and perhaps even catch an Orioles game right there.

Everything I've mentioned is within the 100 mile radius you requested (now that I think about it, so is Washington DC - you have all of that at your disposal).

So you should be able to keep your family occupied for quite a few days.

There are degrees of 'Amishness'. It's similar to most religions in that there are more conservative or orthodox prectitioners, and a more 'looser' interpretation.

The old order or 'Plain' Amish interpret their beliefs strictly. The 'Fancy' Amish will use cash registers, freezers, power tools, etc... in their work. The Mennonites take it to the next level and drive cars and use modern conveniences in their homes.

But to answer your question directly, you can have non Amish preparing and serving Amish dishes in Amish styled restaurants.

But you are correct in that at the more basic level, 'Amish restaurant' is an oxymoron.

When I go to the farmers markets, I'll see a mixture of Amish: the plain ones that either ride buggies or bicicles, do everything manually, wear only black homespun clothing with hooks and eyes instead of buttons, and who have arms like Popeye (even the women); and the other who will still ride buggies, but wear a clored shirt and who will use a calculator to total your bill.

I'll say this, they have some of the prettiest girls you could want to meet. The Kelly McGillis look ain't hard to find there.

i

Originally posted by Terry:

The old order or 'Plain' Amish interpret their beliefs strictly. The 'Fancy' Amish will use cash registers, freezers, power tools, etc... in their work. The Mennonites take it to the next level and drive cars and use modern conveniences in their homes.....

I'll say this, they have some of the prettiest girls you could want to meet. The Kelly McGillis look ain't hard to find there.

Hopefully, the pretty girls you refer to are of the non-conservative 'Fancy Amish' or Mennonite type

biggrin.gif

[edited.gif by Mick on December 30, 2001.]

Archived