Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BYE BYE RAY, BYE BYE BANKS

Chief skin

Incompetent professionals? That's our oxymoron for the morning.

But, it's an interesting topic.

Let's put ourselves into Marty's shoes to answer it.

If Dano tells you to fire them, what do you do?

I think Marty does it (or let's Dano do it). But, if Dano wants to take back more control by becoming involved as a personnel-type guy or wants to hire a GM AND wants those folks fired too, I think Marty draws a line in the sand and probably ends up walking with a settlement of big money.

I can't see a relationship akin to Snyder/Turner being tolerated by Marty. Not for one minute.

if you get rid of Banks and Raye but Marty stays as the shadow OC, and the team hires another underwhelming assistant to help out, does this offense improve that much in 2002?

That is the key question. If Schottenheimer is willing to acknowledge he knows defense and special teams but needs an offensive leader on the staff to get greater productivity out of the offense, than I think great progress can be made here.

Gibbs admitted as much by keeping Richie Petitbon. Bill Walsh admitted as much by hiring George Seifert and leaving the D in his hands. Don Shula left the details of his defense the meticulous Bill Arnsparger.

I don't know if Marty has the presence of mind to realize he is perhaps in over his head wearing 5 or 10 hats at once and needs some help.

Tony Dungy to his credit has realized the need to revamp his offense and go in another direction, what he has failed to do is settle on one offensive coordinator he has faith in and stick with that approach. He has played musical chairs with the OC position and that has disrupted the offense and its productivity.

If Marty comes back and there are no changes in the coaching staff/organization structure, this team could face an uphill climb against organizations with more resources in the front office and a more talented and deep group of coaches on the staff.

Let's admit the truth here. There isn't one assistant coach on the Redskins staff that is considered to be head coaching material. Not one. And I can't think on one that is considered a top position coach among his peers in the NFL.

Remember back to Joe Gibbs days with the Redskins and you had recognizable assistants that had a track record of success with their units such as Richie Petitbon, Jim Hanifan and Joe Bugel and others with brilliant offensive minds such as Dan Henning and Jack Burns. Remember Emmitt Thomas?

The cupboard is bare and was kept that way on purpose by Marty. He decided early on that while he was going to interview high profile, quality assistants for form's sake he was really not going to consider adding anyone that had a career in the NFL independent of Schottenheimer.

That way Snyder had no one to turn to in case the team performed poorly on the field. It was his insurance policy.

Wade Phillips. Ted Cottrell. Gary Kubiak. All the other names bantied about. These guys could be legimitate Head Coaching candidates themselves.

I am sure Marty was aware that Snyder had offered Norv's job first to Ray Rhodes, who had previous HC experience.

This time there would be no Plan B.

Only Plan Schottenheimer. Complete with 27 year old son in tow whose knowledge of high profile quarterbacking derives largely from 5 minutes of game action in a bowl game in mop up duty in college.

Whoo-Aaagh! laugh.gif

Archived