Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GM Marty's 3 blunders of 2001

SPare

Were these corrected, I honestly think that we would be looking at a different situation now:

1. The failure to get a backup of any ability for a loose cannon in George. How many teams have ever made the playoffs after replacing both their first and second string QBs (for that matter, how many teams have done that, period, excepting inury). Dilfer was available and practically begging the skins to take him, since he realized that Washington would be his best option for starting.

2. Not having more than 1 legitimate DT on the roster. Lang has performed better than anyone could have expected, but he has significant shortcomings at the tackle spot (size). The bears got their 2 guys in one free agency year (and Traylor was pretty inexpensive). There were also some cheaper options available (like Mike Wells) late in free agency.

3. In my opinion, this is the biggest one: letting Russ Grimm go to the Steelers. Is it just coincidence that the Steelers have what is possibly the most effective O-line in the league (or that the skins have the most false start penalties)? Point finale: Russ Grimm is the best line coach in the league right now.

There are other things, like the whole nepotism thing, but they have not been killers.

Looks to me as if the focus of offseason 2002 will be correcting the mistakes of 2001.

Since Russ Grimm was a holdover, I can understand Marty wanting to bring in a guy who understood how to implement his own offensive system, which coming in was quite different from the one Norv was running in 2000.

The mistake was in bringing in a coach in Joe Pendry that had no real experience coaching the offensive line. Pendry was an offensive coordinator in Buffalo but had not been a position coach for some time. I think it is clear that Pendry is not the teacher or motivator that Grimm is.

True, the George decision killed the 2001 season for all practical purposes. Acquiring say Trent Dilfer and working to resolve the outstanding issues with the players in the preseason rather than after Game 3, Marty could conceivably have had the team at 10-6, but it was not to be.

In the end Marty did best what he is most comfortable with, organizing a solid defense and special teams.

The offense was a mess from the start except for Davis. The offensive line was not set until Week 5. Gardner was made the go-to receiver from Game 1 despite being a green rookie. Westbrook was an expensive hood ornament on this year's team. Alexander was hurt as usual. Banks was his mediocre self, avoiding mistakes in games the Skins had the talent to out-tough the opposition and falling flat in games when some of the pressure fell on him to make plays to help the team win.

Archived