Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider - Mueller: Coaches handling dual roles

bubba9497

By Randy Mueller

ESPN NFL Insider

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1688341

Bill Belichick has been written about often this year for the way he has handled the Patriots' ride through the regular season. He will get much consideration, and rightly so, for coach of the year.

You can criticize his lack of personality or the way he handles the press all you want, and I'm sure it won't bother him a bit, because he has done it his way, and it has worked. In addition to coach of the year consideration, though, a case can be made that Belichick deserves the award that has been reserved for general managers in the past -- Executive of the Year.

One topic that gets attention league-wide every year, it seems, is that of the head coach also wearing the hat of the general manager. The practice has brought mixed results over the last few years. With rosters changing 30 to 40 percent each year, the decisions teams make regarding personnel have become a giant focal point for fans and media. Sometimes it spotlights who has the "final say" in regard to which players stay or go.

Bill Belichick's attention to detail has made him a success as a GM.

We all have our preference as to what works best. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way with regard to how owners go about setting up their teams' front-office structure. The key is to have one plan with everyone communicating and working toward fulfilling that plan.

Currently, there are nine teams that entrust their coach to be the sole decision maker at the top. If Jon Gruden adds this to his resume in Tampa Bay, as many predict, that will make 10. Of these teams, four are leading their respective divisions. Sixteen teams have clear general managers in charge, while the rest of the league uses some sort of hybrid structure.

Just because a guy is a good coach doesn't mean he's a good GM. The same can be said for a GM or scout; it doesn't mean he'd be a good coach, just because he can evaluate talent. It's a totally different mindset that is required to do each job.

While in New Orleans, my GM title came with "final say" authority, but I can honestly tell you this phrase never was an issue. Maybe in some places this power has been abused, but if it was, that franchise probably had more issues or problems to deal with then it realized.

We made no decision during my time in New Orleans that Jim Haslett and I didn't agree upon and make together. Same for my years in Seattle with Dennis Erickson, when we shared the authority. I view it as a partnership in every way. My feeling was, if I couldn't sell an idea to the coach, or if he couldn't sell it to me, then we were better off going a different direction as a franchise.

Coaches sometimes fear having players forced on them, and that's why they seek both the GM and head coach titles. I happen to think a good GM can make a head coach look very smart, and in most cases, help him succeed.

The way the business has evolved, and with there being limited hours in a day, I think teams are best served when their coaches are free to coach the team and not worry about negotiating contracts, acquiring talent during the season, meeting with scouting staffs, etc. Every coach is involved in personnel decisions, no matter who has the so-called "final say."

The other key point is that the checks and balances that a tandem of coach and GM can bring to the table are invaluable. In the perfect world, I think that during the season the coach should be the face of your team, and in the offseason the GM should take over that role.

I think what has made Belichick successful in his dual role is his passion and work ethic to scout, travel and work out players and to look at film in the offseason, not to mention having a strong personnel man like Scott Pioli by his side. He rolls up his sleeves and works as hard as most scouts or personnel directors do, and he truly has a passion for that part of the game. Tom Coughlin was the same way when he was at Jacksonville. If a coach is willing to do that, your franchise is in good shape regardless of who has what title.

Archived