Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The continuity myth

The people on the board here who are in favor of bringing back Spurrier for the sake of continuity, for the sake of continuity, may be in for a surprise.

But first what do they mean by continuity? Most mean continuity in the coaching staff. But from what I have read this week, Spurrier has indicated that he is coming back and there are going to be major changes. That can only mean one thing -- changes in the assistant coaches -- which is turn probably means a new OL coach and possibly a new DC and/or special teams coach. So already we don't have continuity, if the players have to start learning new schemes.

And Spurrier has also admitted recently, that his fun n' gun -- at least as it was run at Florida -- has not been working in the NFL. So again this may entail drastic changes in the offense, such as going back to a big RB ala Stephen Davis. Again, this would entail changes and a new philosophy in the offense.

Then we come to personnel. According to my records, when Marty was HC, he brought in 32 new players on the roster to start the 2001 season. Not that many big names, but nevertheless 32 of the 53 players were new. Thats a 60% turnover from the beginning of 2000.

Spurrier dumped a lot of Marty's players in 2002 and brought in 27 new players or a 50.9% turnover.

And then this year Spurrier claimed he didn't have the right players for the fun n' gun and 25 new players started 2003 that we not on the team in 2002. Thats another 47% turnover.

Most good teams that have 7 draft choices, rarely have a yearly turnover of greater then 10 to 15 players. The Skins though have turnovers of 32, 27 and 25 players. And from what I've read this week, this season promises even more.

Its doubtful a team can mesh that well with the other players, when you bring in more then 15 new players. So if this is the case -- so much for continuity -- for we may as well go ahead and change the head coach too. :mad:

Originally posted by Om

I forget ... what do you call it when you have deja vu about a deja vu where you thought you might be having a deja vu?

I think I feel a merge coming on. Kidding ... mostly.

Hey, this aint deja vu -- I did a lot of research on the new players brought in. :laugh: Geez, I dont give you one-liners like Bulldog.... I give you depth of analysis. :laugh:

Yes you do. Over and over and over and ... :)

No worries, bro. It's just that the whole "continuity" debate is fast becoming fodder for creating a separate forum. ;)

And you're right about bulldog, by the way. If I was a mean guy, I'd go back and dig up some of the earlier season bulldog posts -- you know, the ones where he was all sweetness and light about the changing fortunes of our favorite franshise. I kinda liked his stuff when the wind was blowing that direction.

Luv ya, dog. :)

Archived