Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CO: Running back knows what it's like to be injured and under-used

bubba9497

Panthers' Davis understands what Emmitt is going through

Running back knows what it's like to be injured and under-used

STAN OLSON

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/sports/7464504.htm?ERIGHTS=-691157508379766529charlotte::bubba9497@hotmail.com&KRD_RM=4kslopqmpsoknrokkkkkkkkkmq|Steve|Y

Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, found a job this season with Arizona, the Carolina Panthers' opponent Sunday.

But a shoulder injury slowed him for much of the season, and now he finds himself backing up Marcel Shipp at running back.

Panthers running back Stephen Davis can empathize.

"It's very tough, but Emmitt is incredible," Davis said Wednesday. "If you saw him as much as I did with Washington the last seven years, he used to eat us up.

"Knowing what he's going through now and what I went through last year (injured and under-used), I kind of think he's frustrated and wants to be out on the field.

"He wants to help his teammates win."

Smith has 17,366 career yards rushing, but only 204 on 70 carries (a 2.9 average) this year.

"He's a competitor," Davis said. "He's one of the best backs that's ever played this game. I've watched him; I've learned some things from him. He's a great back; he's a guy who, if given the opportunity, is going to go out there and make the best of it. And I feel like he's going to get his opportunity." :cry:

Numbers don't lie: Delhomme clutch

Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme has been catching some heat in the wake of a poor performance at Atlanta Sunday night, but that shouldn't obscure what has been a productive first season as a starter.One stat is particularly notable: Delhomme ranks fourth in the NFC in fourth-quarter passing efficiency, which is important when you consider Panthers games are almost always decided in the final period.

Delhomme has completed 56.2 percent of his fourth-quarter passes, with six touchdowns and four interceptions.

His rating is 86.0, ahead of such notables as Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb (85.0), Minnesota's Dante Culpepper (82.7) and Green Bay's Brett Favre (66.4).

Flinging in the rain

The Panthers practiced outside despite a constant downpour.

Asked why he didn't move the workout undercover, coach John Fox said, "We're limited indoors, and particularly on a Wednesday, when we have deeper throws. It's not a full-size field by any stretch.

"We've got a lot of things (to work on) in the kicking game, and really, we might have to face these conditions before the season's over."

Injury update

Defensive end Mike Rucker's magnetic resonance imaging showed he has a second-degree sprain of a medial collateral ligament. Rucker, who declined comment, is questionable for Sunday's game.Also listed as questionable are linebacker Dan Morgan (concussion) and cornerbacks Reggie Howard (ankle) and Terry Cousin (calf). Cousin, who missed the Atlanta game, said he expected to play at Arizona.

Quick hits

• Atlanta fired coach Dan Reeves, a move that disappointed Fox.

"Obviously, Dan's accomplished a whole lot in this league; I respect him as much as I do anybody in the league, and you never like to see that happen to good football coaches."

• Defensive tackle Brentson Buckner missed practice because of the flu and was listed as probable on the injury report. Fellow tackle Kris Jenkins practiced, but said he was also feeling sick.

• Arizona is also having difficulties with upper respiratory illness. Currently sick are defensive tackle Marcus Bell, linebacker Levar Fisher, defensive end Dennis Johnson, cornerback Emmanuel McDaniel, tackle L.J. Shelton and safety Adrian Wilson. All are probable for Sunday.

Archived