Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Krebs: Think You’ve Got Your Credit Freezes Covered? Think Again.

Zguy28

Amazing work. I've got credit freezes at the big Three bureaus, but didn't know about Innovis, let alone this crazy NCTUE, which is living on Equifax servers. THe NCTUE online form for freezes is indeed broken. Consistent ReCaptcha errors.

Think You’ve Got Your Credit Freezes Covered? Think Again.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/another-credit-freeze-target-nctue-com/#comments

I spent a few days last week speaking at and attending a conference on responding to identity theft. The forum was held in Florida, one of the major epicenters for identity fraud complaints in United States. One gripe I heard from several presenters was that identity thieves increasingly are finding ways to open new mobile phone accounts in the names of people who have already frozen their credit files with the big-three credit bureaus. Here’s a look at what may be going on, and how you can protect yourself.

Carrie Kerskie is director of the Identity Fraud Institute at Hodges University in Naples. A big part of her job is helping local residents respond to identity theft and fraud complaints. Kerskie said she’s had multiple victims in her area recently complain of having cell phone accounts opened in their names even though they had already frozen their credit files at the big three credit bureaus — Equifax, Experian and Trans Union (as well as distant fourth bureau Innovis).

The freeze process is designed so that a creditor should not be able to pull a copy of your report unless you unfreeze the account. A credit freeze blocks potential creditors from being able to view or “pull” your credit file, making it far more difficult for identity thieves to apply for new lines of credit in your name.

But Kerskie’s investigation revealed that the mobile phone merchants weren’t asking any of the four credit bureaus. Rather, the mobile providers were making credit queries with the National Consumer Telecommunications and Utilities Exchange (NCTUE), or nctue.com.

Rest at link. I suggest you read it all.

Archived