Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

See you in September...

Buster

Once again the Skins manage to screw up another fourth quarter lead and thus sentence them to another losing/.500 record. And here I thought SS said he wanted to "win one for the fans" today. Well if this one was for the fans, thanks for nothing. But then again this is what we all have learned to expect from this franchise given this last decade of nothing but crappy play on the field and overblown expectations off the field. As a life long fan I can only wonder why this team stays continually mired in below average performances.

The answer is the coach, the owner, and the players, but certainly not the fans. We show up, pay for tickets, cheer hard, and buy the merchandise but get little to show for it other than constant ribbing from other fans and a venomous media constantly attacking the team. They probably don't realize it, because it’s not written on their teleprompter, but sometimes I feel like a fool for even rooting for this team after I hear some of these pundits bad mouth the Skins. I won't stop rooting for this team but they do have a point, and this is what bothers me the most. The coach is out to prove his system can work in the NFL; the owner is out to prove that he can be a general manager, and the players seem to be more concerned with breaking records and how much money they will re-sign for in the off season than the pride of this team and its fans.

How many ex-Redskins have come back to beat this team (today was Walter Rasby's turn for God's sake) when they were losers with the team in the recent past? I guess they get better when they leave, or they play for teams with pride, teams who have one goal, to win, not several like "systems", "personal records", and "signing bonuses". Regardless, I'll wait patiently until September when the Redskins will play their next meaningful game for they are out of the race again and for the 11th time in 12 years I'll also watch the painful "playing out the string" routine we have all been accustomed to in recent past.

I'm sure September will bring new players, coaches, and new hope but I have a gut feeling the results will stay the same until ideals like "team" and "pride" mean as much to this franchise as it does for its fans.

Archived