Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Film Breakdown: Redskins New 3-4 Under Defense

thehbrwhammer

For years we've said that we need a massive nose to control the middle of the LOS and free up the backers. Haslett/Shanahan/Allen/Whoever wouldn't do it when we were playing a 3-4 system that could have used it. Now, we're assuming that we're going to be playing primarily an under front, which negates the need for an anchor, with a guy who can actually clog up the LOS? Oy. If that's what happens, I'll be astonished.

We'll be seeing under fronts. For sure. And Knighton CAN 1-gap. But we have a ton of versatility in our defensive line for the first time since... well... years. You can bet your bottom dollar that Knighton should absolutely be two-gapping at times. And I wouldn't be surprised to see that 4-2 nickel look, either.

Kerrigan, Knighton, Hatcher, Riley (yeah, I'd like to see him play up on the LOS for rushing purposes)

Robinson, ? (We'll see during camp) at the ILB position.

But we'll see.

I like that the 34under keeps Riley in more of a Thumper roll and protects KRob and allows him to really use his speed. That should make a ton of improvements. I think Murph and Ryan give us a lot of flexability also.

I'd be shocked if Knighton wasn't primarily 2 gapping, but I guess it'll depend on the play call. Either way, it should still be difficult to run on us, while our PR should improve dramatically.

Archived