Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Offensive Identity

redskins55

I think there will be a transition to more of a power running offense. Listening to SM and knowing what Jay had in Cinci, seems like that is the logical direction. Last year, there didn't seem to be an identity, it was as if they were stuck in the middle. Wanted to continue to use the ZBS but also wanted to mix in the power running. Both schemes do not mesh (evident by our OL getting run over the last few years) and require different personnel. I personally like the power running and if you look at all the successful teams, majority have big bodies who like to get their hands on people and/or running backs who like to run over people.

I think there will be a transition to more of a power running offense. Listening to SM and knowing what Jay had in Cinci, seems like that is the logical direction. Last year, there didn't seem to be an identity, it was as if they were stuck in the middle. Wanted to continue to use the ZBS but also wanted to mix in the power running. Both schemes do not mesh (evident by our OL getting run over the last few years) and require different personnel. I personally like the power running and if you look at all the successful teams, majority have big bodies who like to get their hands on people and/or running backs who like to run over people.

I'm confused by this post. You seem to be saying you think the team will try to do the same thing they already did this year: mix in power and zone? If you transition from a ZBS to more of power run game then you are in fact using ZBS mixed with power *shrugs*.

Also, I am not sure why you think zone and power don't mesh. Jay in Cinci used power and zone....the new OL coach, Bill Callahan, used power and zone with Dallas and his many other stops along the way. Many teams mix power concepts and zone concepts in their running game.

I think you are confusing scheme with talent here. Our OL gets 'run over' because they're not good not because of scheme. If anything the ZBS allowed are weak OL a chance to be productive in the run game.

But, Scott has professed the desire to build through the trenches and for my money they key to having a more productive running game is having more talent.

I'm confused by this post. You seem to be saying you think the team will try to do the same thing they already did this year: mix in power and zone? If you transition from a ZBS to more of power run game then you are in fact using ZBS mixed with power *shrugs*.

Also, I am not sure why you think zone and power don't mesh. Jay in Cinci used power and zone....the new OL coach, Bill Callahan, used power and zone with Dallas and his many other stops along the way. Many teams mix power concepts and zone concepts in their running game.

I think you are confusing scheme with talent here. Our OL gets 'run over' because they're not good not because of scheme. If anything the ZBS allowed are weak OL a chance to be productive in the run game.

But, Scott has professed the desire to build through the trenches and for my money they key to having a more productive running game is having more talent.

You are correct, what I should have said is the personnel and talent levels. MS used smaller more agile OL for his offense which did allow them to be productive with his system but didn't transition well (at all)in Jays system and were pushed around by DL all year.

You can mix both as you have stated and I agree with you 100%, need to have better talent.

Thanks for the clarification.

I honestly don't want Jay Gruden anywhere near our running game anymore. We rushed for 1600 yds this season. That's pathetic!

Cincinnati wasn't very good running the football at all while he was there.

2012- 1700yds

2013  1700 yds 

The Shanahan Redskins rushed for over  2,000yds in 2012 and 2013 with the same RBs! 

Archived