Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russell's impact on Smith's record

freakofthesouth

Smith has played well this season.

He's a monster; he always has been.

However, it always SEEMS that he is way too far upfield. As fans, we're thinking, 'damn Bruce. You're messin' up the pocket.' All the QB has to do to avoid him is step up in the pocket, and there is no real threat.

My point is this- Smith will not have any sacks w/ no push from the interior linemen. They HAVE to force the QB back in order for Smith to be effective.

This obviously has not been happening.

That is, until a badass named Russell sets up.

He inevitably will get a push internally; he may not always make a play, but he will help close the pocket altogether, and create chances for Smith and the ends.

So, although it seems like the entire D-line is struggling, it really can be traced back to interior pressure.

Now, this change might not happen this week, or even the next, but by week 10, 11, there will be consistent pressure on the QBs.

And Smith will get his record then.

Thank you, this is what I've been saying. Another thing this is going to do is, when the QB, afraid of getting sacked, throws the ball early, this sets up our secondary and linebackers to make big plays on the ball. The turnovers go up and our offense will see the ball more.

Originally posted by Symbol

Thank you, this is what I've been saying. Another thing this is going to do is, when the QB, afraid of getting sacked, throws the ball early, this sets up our secondary and linebackers to make big plays on the ball. The turnovers go up and our offense will see the ball more.

Word to the mothership Symbol.

AND...blitzing will be much, much more effective. Russell will eventually draw double-teams, and that's one less blocker on Arrington and the LBs.

Russell could be a defensive cornerstone...the missing piece to the puzzle.

Originally posted by Phat "Distressed" Hog

Any word on whether or not we will see him in any action on Sunday? Last I heard, he was going to possibly play 10-15 downs. Even if he is out of shape, he probably better than what we have.:doh:

I have heard between 12-25 snaps.

Either way, he will have the offense looking for him. And 25 snaps is almost half the game, if the D plays well.

Originally posted by bulldog

Bruce Smith became the happiest Redskin when Russell was signed, you know that's the truth :laugh:

More single coverage, more sacks and hurries. Quicker cut to the record.

Upshaw should be the second happiest Redskin, the moment Bruce gets the record, I think Upshaw will be the new starter.

Excellent points, w/o Russell Bruce breaking the record was starting to look iffy with only one sack in the first 8 weeks. Now with Russell, Smith is almost ensured of breaking the record because the QB's will be getting pushed back to that spot BS always hits when he's on his "A" speedrush.

If Upshaw was playing THAT well in practice Spurrier would have ensured he was in for more plays during the games :)

The fact is, no matter how much people want to dump on Bruce, that #78 is still the best pass rushing DE on the club.

Upshaw had how many sacks last year? How about in 2001?

You have to go back 3 or 4 years to see Upshaw with even as many as 6 or 7 sacks.

Smith did better than that last year at age 39! :laugh:

Originally posted by bulldog

The fact is, no matter how much people want to dump on Bruce, that #78 is still the best pass rushing DE on the club.

And that is pretty sad.

I wish Smith got the stinkin' record in Week 1.

Enough with this dumb record, win us a damn game!!

Archived