Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need Advice In Regards To Child Support

EnFoRcEr_uPu

I'm having trouble finding answers to this and am hoping someone in the ES community has any kind of suggestion for me.  I have 2 sons, ages 6 and 10, and currently have full physical and legal custody. (I'm the father btw)  Their mother originally paid me only $150/mo. in child support because she could not afford anything more.  Currently, after she moved to Oklahoma, she is paying me $400/mo. (clearly still not enough).  

Well, I have not heard from her since last Sunday, October 27 and child support is well past due.  Luckily I was able to borrow the money from my brother so I could pay rent, but I'm not sure of how to proceed with A) Letting the courts know that she's all but fallen off of the map on me and B) Re-evaluating how much she pays in child support each week.  I was told by her mother that she supposedly talked to her on Facebook and that she said she "forgot her phone at a friends house".  That she was going to get it Tuesday night and would call me and that she is also getting a new phone number (Her 4th I believe in 2 years).  

Having still not heard back, I'm hoping someone here can let me know what I should do next.  She has been a joke of a mother for many years now, even when we were together, and I'm beyond the point of playing nice.  It's time she pays up and helps to support her 2 amazing sons.  She sees they maybe 3 or 4 times on a yearly basis and talks to them for 10 minutes on the phone at most, maybe once a week.  (again, it's going on nearly 2 weeks now).

Any help would be greatly appreciate and I'm sorry if any of this seems confusing or kind of here and there, I'm at work and didn't have a ton of time to write this up.  Thank you everyone.

What if anything do you have as far as court orders? If you only have a handshake agreement then my first suggestion would be to ask for a ruling on child support. If you already do have an order in place then you can "rule her in" for contempt of court, problem with that is getting her served if she is out of state. Does your state have a child enforcement division? If so you can contact them as well. I have almost the exact issue with my ex wife. She ended up spending 4 days in jail for failure to pay, and is still in arrears almost 8000. She ended up losing custody, receiving court ordered psychiatric counseling, having sight and sound supervision, being held responsible for my 27,000 in legal fees and 10,000 is guardian ad litem fees.

honestly, its only been two weeks, no court is going to jump on a mother for being two weeks late with something nor are they going say much about her not talking to them much. They might encourage her to have a relationship, but they can't make her. The most they can make her do is pay. Additionally, They can't make her pay what you feel like is enough, it will be based on her income.

I know Kansas takes the combined income of both parents, adds it together, consults a chart to determine how much should be used for raising a child, then based on the ration of who makes what, they assign it. So example if both parents combine to make 100,000 and the chart says at 100,000 the child raising costs are 1000. If the dad makes 70 and the mother makes 30 and the dad has custody, then the mother pays 300 a month. If the mother had custody then the dad would pay 700 a month. That's the basis of it, but of course there is long distance visitation, tax credits, day care and health insurance costs added into all of that.

Archived